The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Torino Sport 460 swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Torino Sport 460 swap
    Posted: 24-April-2018 at 10:11AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and excited to be here.
I'm the new owner of a 1973 Gran Torino Sport. It originally had a 351C in it, but the guy i bought it from took it out and was getting ready to put a 460/C6 in it. So the car came with that motor/tranny, I'm getting ready to put it in. The 460 has mounts bolted to it, will they bolt up to the perches from the 351? I've read different things and i don't know what to think. I was told I may have to change the perches (I think that's what they're called). Apparently BB perches from several Ford makes and models from the 70's will work. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm on somewhat of a budget. I'm hoping to get it running now, and in the future doing things to modify it.
I was hoping to get it going while my boys are still in their teens a project for us to do together.
Thanks everyone, glad to be here, can't wait to get my Torino going!
-Dennis
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2018 at 3:14PM
First things first,
Welcome!
There are no perches.
Torino chassis 72-79 had the engine mounts saddle the frame crossmember. Smallblock mounts are one piece, big block mounts have a plate that bolts to the engine and a separate insulator.
Post a picture of what you have and we can help figure out what you need.
Fullsize mounts don't work without serious modification, and truck mounts are also different.
Crites makes aftermarket mounts that are based on a modded full-size mount.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2018 at 6:10PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 3:20AM
Thank you for the information. I will post some pictures soon.
Thank you!
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 7:23AM
Here's a picture of the engine bay, and the motor mount on the 460 engine. sorry, the sun was bright today (finally. Long winters in Montana)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 10:32AM
Upper pic looks to be truck/van engine mount, chassis looks to be small block mounts.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2018 at 7:47AM
Yes, the engine came out of a truck.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2018 at 7:31AM
From what other's have said, the OEM mounts are the best fit but they are hard to fine. Crites still lists their mounts as available.
Below is the information from their website.  I can't post a direct link, but if you go to the main site, click 1966-79 Fairlaine, Ranchero, Torino, etc and you'll see it on that parts page.

429-460 into 1972 - 1979 Torino - Cyclone - Ranchero $185

Kit contains 4 pieces 

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2018 at 11:54AM
I'm still very confused on what I need. The more I research, the more confused I get.
I've found new bbf mounts that say they will work for that, but I just don't know.
Please help...
Thank you
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2018 at 12:20PM
It seems like I need part number A2368, they look like this.
Thoughts?
I can't get the image on here, but here's a link:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdSJb1qjFd3NbgRoMkP4Uzx9GBY2CgkExNS4Kp6EPqYvJMObj5
 Post Reply Post Reply