The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chassis Stiffening - Lincoln cris-cross struts?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chassis Stiffening - Lincoln cris-cross struts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chassis Stiffening - Lincoln cris-cross struts?
    Posted: 06-May-2018 at 9:29AM
Love the way my '72 torino handles with everything new! But I don't like the shimmy/vibration/flex when I go over bumps!

Has anyone installed these Lincoln Mark IV/V cris-cross chassis struts? Will they fit a torino? I know I'll have to weld on the front brackets. If anyone has done this, does it help?

Some 1973 Montegos have similar struts on the front, not sure about '73 torinos. 

Any other chassis stiffening ideas?

Thanks!

madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2018 at 1:06PM
they will bolt on if you add the brackets, or you could just make some custom bars.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2018 at 7:15AM
Has anyone bolted some of these Lincoln struts on? If so, any feed back?

I just found a set, will install and report back!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2018 at 8:11AM
They "should" help stiffen the chassis a bit, had a set on a '75 Cougar XR7 I had years ago. One thing though, made changing oil a bit of a hassle(note drain plug location to brace).
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2018 at 2:40PM
They might help a bit. If anything I bet these would quell vibrations more than stiffen the frame. Lincoln was more concerned about smooth quiet rides than a stiff chassis.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:14AM
Well, the results are in. And I have to say that these struts do a very good job of quelling shimmy and vibration, and have also stopped many small rattles and squeaks. The chassis does not feel stiffer just a quieter smoother ride. Just what Lincoln (and me too) were looking for.......this pic was taken just before the brackets were welded on.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:41AM
Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear that they do work. Do they block the oil drain plug? Do you think they'd work with long tube headers too?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2018 at 11:47AM
I like it!!!
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 5:40AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear that they do work. Do they block the oil drain plug? Do you think they'd work with long tube headers too?

No issue with the drain plug. Oil will fall onto the strut, but access to the plug is fine. My oil pan is 1970 429 Cobra Jet, which should have the same drain plug location as the 1972-78 Lincoln Mark IV-V 460.

They MAY work with headers(?) I'll post some better pictures which might help......
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 6:34AM
Nice work, very clean!  Looking at the pic I believe headers, at least the Hooker 6126's "should" clear the brace now removing the starter looks like it may be an issue, but I could be mistaken. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 9:32AM
isn't that kinda sad that some jungle-gym bars screwed to the bottom of the frame can make a noticeable difference ...
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 10:14AM
They're not as strong as jungle gym bars, think conduit with the ends flattened. Mostly they break up the harmonics on vibrations.
GMT 800 trucks (99-06 Silverado/Sierra, etc.) added a similar arrangement to help with what they call "Frame Beaming" which is a resonating vibration at certain speeds.
Like the Marks, the truck braces rot out up here in the salt/snow.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 11:46AM
decent conduit anyway, not 1/2" seamed EMT

i have a set hidden under a shelf rack somewhere, i wish i would've cut the front mounts off the car but that was before i knew how easy that was to do
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2018 at 3:02PM
With the front clip off my car and it being supported by jack stands at the torque boxes, I can actually flex the frame a bit.  Although I am sure the front end sheet metal helps to stiffen things up, I am not surprised these braces help too.  These frames are not overly stiff but that's the way Ford designed them.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply