The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust systems
    Posted: 10-May-2018 at 10:45AM
Anyone ever tried magnaflo mufflers? I have always used flowmaster mufflers but read where magnaflo doesn't have Chambers so less restrictions and therefore more h.p. and better sound. Any thoughts ?
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 2:59PM
I used some summit welded stainless steel mufflers which sure do look a awful lot like magnaflows without the fancy stamped "magnaflow" case, they were $40 each and sound nice, deep and mellow at idle and cruise but open up and get louder at WOT. If you search for the tail pipe threads you should find the part numbers for them i posted and yes flowmasters suck for actual flow and power compared to magnaflows and a few other similar brands.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 4:12PM
I put them on my brother's car which isn't a Torino. They sound way better than my Flowmasters. When I redo my exhaust I will likely be going with Magnaflows next time.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 10-May-2018 at 4:13PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2018 at 5:09PM
i have stainless magnaflows on my vette, no they don't have baffles just the open chamber with a perforated liner, for lack of a better term...
 they are quite at idle, people say they sound good as i drive by (idk since i don't let anyone drive my cars) Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2018 at 1:54AM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-632501/overview/

those are the ones i used, really love em!!! If i can take a vid that actually sounds like them, i'll post it.
Bensport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2018 at 11:14AM
I've had flowmasters on a variety of Fords over the years from a 78 bronco w/351m400 to a 68 mustang w/302 to my wife's 96 bronco w,/5.7 They've all sounded really good. But have read and heard good things about magnaflo,so was curious.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2018 at 2:18PM
I never cared for the hollow tinny sound on flowmasters, prefer a deeper sound.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2018 at 2:57PM
magnaflows are way better than my old flowmasters. Sounds cleaner and above all, no more droning.
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2018 at 9:08AM
hope I'm not going off topic, but for a 79 Ranchero transplanted 460/c6, which is better exhaust w/3inch pipe, H or X setup  Thanks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2018 at 10:08AM
X it!
I built my dual 3" exhaust using Pypes XVF13 narrow trans tunnel X-pipe, 2-18" Jeg's header collector extensions, 2-Dynomax Ultraflo 17221 mufflers and 2-Flowmaster T3030 turndowns and a couple hangers. Did all the fit-a-ment/welding over a full Saturday.

I used a stock C4 crossmember and turned it around "bassackwards" and built my own trans mount within the crossmember. I use a long tailshaft C6.

I have never heard anyone say they hated or disliked the exhaust tone from these, 9 1/2+ to 1 BBF with a Comp cam helps with that a bit.....but I can only guess though.

The Pypes X-pipe kit fits extremely well(after work with cut-off wheel and welder of course) and I have yet to drag the exhaust anywhere and my Rancher is lowered over 5"(the rear bump stops above rear axle have about 2.5" +/- clearance).

As far as sound, idle has a good rumble, while cruising it has a "spirited" reply but not obnoxious or have a drone like FM's, @ WOT it has an F-1 "evilish" get the hell outta the way tone.

Edited by aquartlow - 17-May-2018 at 10:14AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 6:48PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

I have the FM 44s on mine with mandrel bent 3 inch and mine sounds pretty dang deep... And they get waaay loud when I kick it.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 6:51PM
Originally posted by rancheromac rancheromac wrote:

hope I'm not going off topic, but for a 79 Ranchero transplanted 460/c6, which is better exhaust w/3inch pipe, H or X setupĀ  Thanks
They say that H pipe is better for low end power but X is for high end.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 4:54AM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

I have the FM 44s on mine with mandrel bent 3 inch and mine sounds pretty dang deep... And they get waaay loud when I kick it.

maybe deeper was the wrong word to describe what I meant, its really the hollw tinny sound I don't care for on the flowmasters, not to mention the less then great flow numbers.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 1:10PM
These guys say X-pipe is the best overall, but H pipe helps too. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 3:04PM
I have an H pipe, Flow 40's and full 2.5 inch exhaust on my gold car. I also have a set of MagnaFlo mufflers and a set of DynoMax mufflers sitting in the garage. I wonder what the real sound difference and power difference would be between them? One set is going on the 5 speed roller wagon.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 4:00PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I have an H pipe, Flow 40's and full 2.5 inch exhaust on my gold car. I also have a set of MagnaFlo mufflers and a set of DynoMax mufflers sitting in the garage. I wonder what the real sound difference and power difference would be between them? One set is going on the 5 speed roller wagon.

Post Reply Post Reply