The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel issue....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formulacc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel issue....
    Posted: 17-May-2018 at 6:00AM
Since putting the Cougar on the road, I've encountered a problem with filling the tank....I can get it just over 1/2 tank before it spits fuel back up the filler pipe...the sender was replaced before I got the car, and it does move in a linear fashion from the just-over-1/2 down as I drive the car....is it accurate though???...dunno...but I feel like it's a vent issue in the tank, as the filler pipe enters the tank roght at that 1/2 full area...soooo, does anyone have a diagram of the tank/vent/lines for a 77-79 Cougar??  according to Spectra (tank supplier), my tank has no internal vent tube, so I'm guessing there must be SOME type of vent in this thing....any help would be MOST appreciated, including values to measure the accuracy of the gauge....
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

Adam

Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.....
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2018 at 12:14PM
Don't have a clue but I did have that problem with a 79 Ranchero I had owned.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2018 at 1:17PM
If the Cougar has a fill hose configuration like a '79 Ranchero, there is a hose that ties back into the filler neck that helps with "spit back", but there is also a vent that is on the top center of the tank. This vent, if bad, can be replaced with one from an '80 F-series truck(gas model of course). I believe the top vent line runs all the way forward to the passenger side charcoal canister/filter, I cut this hose and just vented mine with a piece of 1/4" hose that exits on the aft portion of the fuel tank just behind rear bumper. No issues with spit or burp when filling.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
formulacc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formulacc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2018 at 7:59AM
It turns out the gauge is accurate....when the gas pump kicks off, if I slow the flow down, I can fill the tank....but boy is it SLOWWWWW......still, I can deal with that rather than dropping the tank....an extra few minutes at the gas pump won't kill me.....
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
2011 Volvo C30

Adam

7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2018 at 10:41AM
Same issue with both my 'birds.  Try this; when your filling up, use only the first notch on the fill holder. It doesn't spit up as hard, and fills more completely.  To top off, hold the handle up(nozzle down against the inside of the neck), and angle it towards the back of the car.  fills up completely, and no gas on the paint/shoes.Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2018 at 12:48AM
Had same problem now an then on ltd2. When I removed the smog system I found the charcoal filter was full of gas.
formulacc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formulacc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2018 at 2:29AM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

Same issue with both my 'birds.  Try this; when your filling up, use only the first notch on the fill holder. It doesn't spit up as hard, and fills more completely.  To top off, hold the handle up(nozz0le down against the inside of the neck), and angle it towards the back of the car.  fills up completely, and no gas on the paint/shoes.Thumbs Up

It's funny you say that about turning the nozzle 180 around....I used to do that with a Javelin I had....been so long I had forgotten that trick!!  I'll give that a go next time I fill up.....
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
2011 Volvo C30

Adam

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2018 at 2:52AM
Sounds like your filler tube is:
1.kinked or twisted
Or
2. Not angled downward all the way, creating a dip that fills up with gas and acts basically as the drain trap under a sink or in the toilet.

Been there enough times with numerous vehicles.

Dfox

Edited by hogfiddles - 19-May-2018 at 2:57AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 6:42PM
My 75 Ranchero is a PITA to put gas in as well, I have to hold the nozzle at various angles depending on the station I'm at, and hold the rubber boot against the fill hole and sometimes I can actually get gas in it without leaking everywhere. This is one of the main reasons I haven't painted it yet, but I'm relocating the fill hole to the inside of the bed and either patch the old hole with metal or just make it to where it can still hold the cap so it looks stock.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply