The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb to Hood clearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb to Hood clearance
    Posted: 20-May-2018 at 12:15AM
Hi Guys
as I am waiting for my car to be unloaded from the container ship in Brisbane 72 GTS  (at least another 2 weeks until I see it ahhhhhh )
I am wondering if anyone can tell me of the clearance between the top of the Carb to the Hood do I have room to play with hi rise single plane intakes like the CHI series or Vic Juniors etc as with my last car (73 Mach 1 with Ram Air I had clearance issues) I ll find out soon enough when the car arrives but another 2 weeks is really going to drag on any info appreciated just planning ahead for the new engine
thanks
Dave

fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 6:48AM
My application is 429 w/stock motor mounts using a Blue Thunder intake/holley carb: The BT intake is about 1" taller than a stock cast iron unit and the stock 4v air cleaner fits inside the sport hood scoop/hump and leaves about an extra inch before the stock air cleaner hits the top of the scoop hump. My guess is you may have even more room with a 351C, but(?) 
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 4:15PM
I have a 460 with factory engine mounts. Edelbrock Performer intake, 1" spacer, Holley Avenger, and a dual snorkel air cleaner (Fox Body Mustang. Same as the large diameter air cleaner of some 70s cars), and the air cleaner nut poked through the hood pad. But the hood shuts and latches as it should. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
 Post Reply Post Reply