The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new owner
    Posted: 02-June-2018 at 11:49AM
just bought 72 gts, black/black (special order) cj, 4 speed, 325 posi, rally package 54k original, 99% original, oo added rear spoiler and "pipes". need to find what the proper interior trim code is. hi back buckets, not cloth and not knitted vinal. is all vinal, black in color (a) tag says ma, but it doesn't or ever has knitted, always the smooth. all I need is the proper prefix (a is color black) thanks, phred, papa scoops.
phred
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2018 at 1:34PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2018 at 1:46PM
Welcome!  Sounds like a great car.  MA code is for black knitted vinyl and is the only black code for the bucket seats for 1972.
We'd love to see pics.  Here's how to post if you need help:
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
papa scoops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2018 at 11:52AM
the car is code ma, but it doesn't have the knitted insert, ford had changed it later in the year (using same ma code) and it has the smoother vinal inserts.(all original) same as 73's had. fred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2018 at 12:34PM
Do you have any documentation to support that or is that just the original owners word?  What is the build date on the car?  It is possible that it may have got 1973 seats early if it was a very late build, you never know with Ford.  Do you have a Marti report?  If not, it's probably worth investing in, they aren't too expensive and it might clarify some of the car's history.

I believe we had a discussion about the car you bought here.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2018 at 3:15PM
Do you have the hard backs on the seats?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2018 at 11:43AM
documented via ford mpc and d2 tag #. yes on marti, marti not always right, info is only from ford invoices.yes, hard back seats. steering column installed by walt kowaski.phred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2018 at 1:08PM
I think most of us haven't ever seen or heard of a '72 with '73 style upholstery, so if you're willing, please share the part numbers (D2 tag #) and the copy of the marti.  Pics of the seats would be great too.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2018 at 1:30PM
Pics are still up on the original Craigslist add. The seats do look nice.And yes....Welcome

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 06-June-2018 at 4:21PM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2018 at 3:57PM
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the purchase.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2018 at 11:26AM
I've seen a few 72's with this type of seat (in photos) with only 54k and knowing po, they are original. remember this is a very late build car, july 72. you can go to the ford mpc, whatever date was after april 72 update, it will give you the breakoff date for the knitted vinal (discontinued and not avail in 73) I think you will find it on the vehicle order form also. phred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2018 at 12:59PM
Fred if you don't mind can you get those part numbers or let me know the page number in the Ford MPC. I'd like to document this info for the website so your help is appreciated.

I saw the CL pics but was hoping to have some better pics showing the back sides of the seats and some better shots of the front.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2018 at 6:05AM
easiest is to download the mpc (very useful anyway) I don't think my hard copy has same pages as that version since the books went obsolete in mid 72 I think, and the o/l verion is much later. if I get back to the Bellevue house soon, i'll look it up.fred
phred

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 7:29AM
I just downloaded the catalog and it is nowhere as good as the old book. it is missing a bunch of the pages, with the side notes. The seat change (discontinued knitted) was made july 3 72. that is my build date. it shows a new 73 part number (d30z) there is also another change made earlier, april, having something to do with the seatbelt interlock. maybe I have the 1st one!! rare!! that's for all colors, not just black. anyone know how long the 72 production ran? as a side note, the mpc book only ran until 72, and the d/l version copys that, so to compare 73 parts, you need to go to the old mirofinch machine. phred
phred
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 7:59AM
hmm i thought the seatbelt interlock thing was only used on the 74's???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 10:29AM
interlock-wrong word, I meant the warning lamp on dash. not sure. sorry. phred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 12:18PM
Originally posted by papa scoops papa scoops wrote:

I just downloaded the catalog and it is nowhere as good as the old book. it is missing a bunch of the pages, with the side notes. The seat change (discontinued knitted) was made july 3 72. that is my build date. it shows a new 73 part number (d30z) there is also another change made earlier, april, having something to do with the seatbelt interlock. maybe I have the 1st one!! rare!! that's for all colors, not just black. anyone know how long the 72 production ran? as a side note, the mpc book only ran until 72, and the d/l version copys that, so to compare 73 parts, you need to go to the old mirofinch machine. phred

I have both the 1965-72 and the 1973-79 MPC, I just can't find that section your talking about.  The copies I have are the fully licenced copies and have all data. That's why if you give me the part number, I will be able to find it.  I will screen shot it and post it on here.

I would think if you car was built in July of 1972, it would have been near the end of the model run before they started to tool up for the 1973's.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2018 at 9:08AM
Vince, the downloaded book I have is the 1975 final edition. ford updated their parts books several times a year, this is why the numbers keep changing. unless you have the old microfiche reader and the all of the old "cards" you wont see this. i have all the old cards (not at this house). just what I downloaded (not complete, but it does indicate the changeover/woven discontinuation date of 7-3-72. for me to re-lookup all this info on the reader is not an easy chore (the cards are all scratched up and take time to view, and it's not at this house) like it is listed, the after 7/3/72 part for the 72 MA is changed to D30Z d=7,3=3,oz=fairlane. why Ford didn't change the MA code, I couldn't tell you. all vinal remains code MA in 73. fred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 1:49PM
Thanks for the info Fred.  What I was looking for was not the first part of the part number (D3OZ), but the second part with actual number.  I know that seats fall into the 60000-69999 range, but if makes it easier to find when I have the number.  I did search around my version and I didn't find the proper section.
If you ever do come across the part number or the are able to post a pic of the MPC, please do so.  That would be a great resource for the site.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 4:08AM
are you talking about the actual part number, or the engineering number? the engineering numper is the tag on the inside of the seat (not a part number). as far as the real part number, the base number is the same for all seat cushion cover and the suffix number is the color. help? phred
phred
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 7:57AM

I was looking for the base number for the seat cushion cover.

The engineering number would be good too.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2018 at 7:41AM
base number is 6562901 suffix is for black.it's a bit tricky to find this because it is out of order, at least in my new book. on most soft trim you need to forget the 1st to numbers, try looking up 62901. there are two coloumns far left is for seat cover and cushion assy, to the right is just the cover. on the upper part of the page is the section number, use that as a reference. the car is in storage right now, as soon as I get to it, i'll pull the trim and get the eng. number too. there is a video some where on here that has a guy driving his black gts ht around, it shows same seats. phred
phred
 Post Reply Post Reply