The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New To Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TORAH54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New To Forum
    Posted: 05-July-2018 at 5:00AM
Hi - I am new to this forum, but certainly not new to restoring cars and trucks. But this is my first Torino - just bought it from my son who was just deployed to the middle east and can no longer work on it.  (Or more accurately he can no longer watch me work on it after he destroyed yet another C4!!!!)

This 1972 Gran Sport has been in our family for 4 years - my son and I rebuilt the 351 Windsor (calm down all you Cleveland guys) and retrofit a roller cam.  Bored 40 over, flat top pistons, new aluminum heads, long tube headers, Holley 650 double pumper... you name it for an old school hot rod pushing way more horsepower than anybody had in 1972.  And since I am over 60 with a number of old cars I know old school. 

I rebuilt the suspension and brakes all the way around, but basically took it all to stock condition. had to hunt for the right alignment with bigger and better tires than original.  But still, as ya'll know these cars tend to handle like land yachts with a broken rudder.

So, my plan is to first replace some rusted out floor boards and trunk, (I HATE RUST) make the heater/defrost work then upgrade the suspension and steering. Maybe make this actually handle better than a worn out minivan with bald tires.  If I keep this long enough I'll convert to 6 speed manual.

I'll post pictures when I am able - but progress will be slow. I am in the middle of 1968 GMC truck total frame off, helping my other son with his 81 Camaro, then my long term '58 Triumph TR3.  Oh, and keeping our 2000 Cherokee and my '97 Mustang GT daily driver safely on the road. And work does tend to interfere with all our fun, doesn't it.

For those of you that are new to the old car hobby, keep up the good work. And patience, patience, patience.  It is cool to cruise the town with my 2 sons in their '81 Camaro (heck of a beast, totally upgraded 400SBC), my (now totaled) 2001 Roush Mustang and this 72 Gran Torino.  The Torino got more looks and comments than anything else.  Fun.

Keep them between the ditches - I'll be asking some questions and making more posts later.

George  ('72 Gran Torino Sport)

George 72 GranTorinoSport
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 10:09AM
Welcome George!  Sounds like you have a very nice Torino, despite that inferior 351W! Tongue  In all seriousness, the Windsor motors have a ton more aftermarket support and they are certainly easier to build these days compared to a 351C.  It sounds like you have some other cool projects too!

There is a ton of info on here about making these cars handle well.  Using stock replacement parts are not even up to the standards of the 1972 OEM competition suspension.  If you install a quick ratio steering box, crown vic cop car springs, Addco sway bars this will make a massive difference in handling. You'd be surprised at how well these big cars can handle. There is a some good tech info here:

Please post some pictures of your car.  Here's a how to thread if you need help:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 3:18PM
 welcome george! i too have several other non torino vehicles Wink including a 70 C/10 truck
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2018 at 12:35AM
Welcome!!
 Post Reply Post Reply