The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Roofs on Formal Roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jreese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Roofs on Formal Roof
    Posted: 07-July-2018 at 10:54AM
How common were the vinyl roofs on the formal roof Torinos? It seems I rarely see one without a vinyl roof? Are there production number someone could point me too, I do not want to ask the same question that has been answered and in a sticky someplace.

Thanks.

Jim
1970 Cyclone
1970.5 Falcon
1969 Mustang
1963 Falcon vert -sold-
1971 Torino Wagon -sold-
1965 Ranchero -sold-
2007 Shelby GT -sold-
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 11:44AM
Jim, I checked through the stats I have collected over the years from Marti Reports and I have nothing about the vinyl roofs for formal roof cars.  They were common, as you've already pointed out, but probably much less so on the base Torinos. 

If anyone else has this info to help out Jim, please share it, thanks!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
papa scoops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 11:51AM
most dealers back in the 70's had aftermarket vinal tops installed to dress up the cheap cars. was cheap to do, and popular. phred
phred
jreese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jreese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 2:44PM
I was a thinking that the formal roof cars had the same option lineup as the fastback, available as GTS models, is that incorrect? Were the formal roofs only lower option cars?
Jim
1970 Cyclone
1970.5 Falcon
1969 Mustang
1963 Falcon vert -sold-
1971 Torino Wagon -sold-
1965 Ranchero -sold-
2007 Shelby GT -sold-
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 2:07AM
Originally posted by jreese jreese wrote:

I was a thinking that the formal roof cars had the same option lineup as the fastback, available as GTS models, is that incorrect? Were the formal roofs only lower option cars?

There were three different formal roof cars available.  The Torino 2-door hardtop, the Gran Torino 2-door Hardtop and the Gran Torino Sport 2-door hardtop (it was the only body style offered across all three model lines).  Each of these three models had an vinyl roof as an available option.    The vinyl roof option was actually available on all 1972 Torinos except of the station wagons.

The Gran Torino Sport was essentially like a Torino GT from years past, with a standard V8 engine and otherwise was mostly cosmetic upgrades such as the hood scoop, Gran Torino Sport door panels, and sport mirrors.  Other than some differences in base tire sizes, there were no significant differences between a Gran Torino Sport formal roof or SportsRoof.  As you speculated, both the formals and SportsRoofs had the same options available to them and the same standard features.

What I meant by my post above was that the base model Torino 2-door hardtops were probably the least likely to have a vinyl top option, since they were usually very basic cars.

Here are the three models I was talking about:

Torino 2-door

Gran Torino 2-door

Gran Torino Sport 2-door

Edited by 72FordGTS - 09-July-2018 at 2:30AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
formulacc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formulacc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 7:40AM
Walking hand in hand in a sandpit??  Who's spouse did they bury there??
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

Adam

Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.....
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 10:39AM
Originally posted by formulacc1 formulacc1 wrote:

Walking hand in hand in a sandpit??  Who's spouse did they bury there??

nah, it was the 70's cocaine is a helluva drug LOL
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2018 at 1:42PM
Jim, here is a formal '72 Gran Torino with a Q-code and a 4-speed, with no vinyl top:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply