The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1979 LTD II wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevewarden0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 LTD II wiring
    Posted: 16-July-2018 at 2:14PM
Hi,

Back again....

So wiring - the original alternator/regulator was changed at some point to a 1 wire alternator the old regulator is still on the inner wing and so is the old cable. what can I do with the old cables - trace back and remove them from the loom? 

There is an issue with the instrument cluster - never managed to get the dash lights to come on or the gen (single wire so I get that now) the oil light never comes on either (indicator warnings work as does the fuel gauge), upon further investigation I found  the cables that should go the the temp sender and oil pressure are disconnected. So just to test I shorted them (individually) to ground and checked the dash (with ignition on) just to see if they would work. no luck...

I am guessing I am missing a live feed on the cluster side, could this be anything to do with the swap to single wire alternator? I have a couple of pictures added - the dust on the car was right after a dust storm!!!
Steve
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 5:40PM
changing the alternator shouldn't have affected the power to the gauges BUT who knows what some idiot did???
 there should be a common positive power wire to those gauges yes shorting the sender end of the wire should have made each gauge go to the max
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 1:12AM
I wonder if the previous owner installed the correct sending units for what is in the cluster, makes a difference. The printed circuit plug can be a bear sometimes and can easily be broken or printed circuit "legs" get screwed up with it's removal if not careful. Good luck and hope you get it "figgered" out.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 6:42AM
Is there some place on here explaining how to wire single wire alt. in our cars.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 10:43AM
if you are referring to the GM style 1 wire alternators... just use the large main wire from the ford alt. and put it on the stud on the back of the 1 wire alt.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 12:56PM
I think your best bet may be to get a wiring diagram and go through the wiring from top to bottom to see what has been hacked and changed.  I am not sure if someone one here has a later model wiring diagram but there is a '73 Torino one on this website.  It might be worthwhile to purchase.
This thread has a bunch of information on the gauge clusters.

As for the alternator, I'd ditch the one wire myself and either got back to a stock 1G unit or upgrade to a 3G unit. 

Here is some information for a 1G alternator wiring.  It's not too hard to do, and it works reasonably well if you have stock electrical loads.

This is the 3G setup, which will allow you to run a much higher electrical load.  Best of all the alternators are cheap and plentiful.

Read this on a one wire alternator and why they can be a big compromise just to make installation easier (there is a little chart that summarizes the differences)

Edited by 72FordGTS - 19-July-2018 at 7:37AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 1:50PM
yes the GM 10SI is the alternator i use on most all of my vehicles, simple and reliable Big smile yes i have one on my torino too Wink simple to wire!! also very easy to work on and rebuild as well!

the 3 wire i'm referring to.....

Edited by californiajohnny - 17-July-2018 at 1:51PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2019 at 3:43AM
aquartlow has the best write up on this using a Taurus alt,
 Post Reply Post Reply