The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering system fill procedure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering system fill procedure
    Posted: 27-July-2018 at 6:52AM
OK guys, finally to the point of adding type F ATF to the power steering pump and then spinning the pump to fill the rest of the system (all new components so everything is dry) or could I vacuum the fluid into the internals via the return line from the cooler? Car is still in the air so there is no resistance on the front wheels just yet, so I'm hesitant to install the belt and drive the pump with the engine.

How have you done it??

Thanks in advance as always!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 11:28AM
Oh man, I think I just ran it from dry and fired it up. Probably not a good way to do it but my system seems to be working fine. I also hardly ever drive the car anymore.
-Billy Conturo
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 1:44PM
I lost a PS pressure hose on my F250 SD and drained the entire system, which also gives brake assist using the hydroboost system on the 7.3's. The truck's PS moaned and groaned as I made my way back to our hotel when out of town working, all the while pulling my 12k gooseneck equipment trailer(more turning required to get it in parking area). I installed new PS hose, filled the pump's reservoir with fluid and started the engine and purged the air out with moving the steering wheel back and forth for a few minutes as well as pumping the brake pedal. Got additional 100K miles since this with no issues. I would say you should be "good to go".
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2018 at 2:57PM
just fill the reservoir before starting up and have fluid ready for fill / top as soon as you're ready after firing. you could try to spin the pump by hand IDK how effective that would be but it seems to me it should move some fluid. keep track of how much fluid you get into it, you might be surprised Shocked
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2018 at 2:01AM
When I changed my steering box and hoses, I just filled the reservoir and fired the car. I had the front end elevated and cycled the steering back and forth through the range to "bleed" any air out of the system.  This is how I have done it on other cars over the years to and it always worked fine.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 5:37AM
Ok, So I'm not a total hack.
-Billy Conturo
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 2:41PM
I would imagine they filled the reservoir at the plant and fired them up. Think about how much time it would have taken to do anything differently. Time is money is volume.

Edited by handsofstone - 10-September-2018 at 2:42PM
 Post Reply Post Reply