The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Linkage Assistance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Linkage Assistance
    Posted: 03-August-2018 at 8:34PM
Good evening friends,

For those that have read my introduction, I will outright admit that I have never worked on vehicles older than late 80s. As such, carburetors are still new and foreign concepts to me, and without a good reference I'm not 100% sure my carburetor is actually hooked up right. It seems to work but it just doesn't look like it's hooked up right.

Would there be anyone willing to snap a picture of their throttle linkage on the carburetor so that I can compare/emulate? I've not managed to find a decent example yet for a 68 Torino.

Many thanks!

Frost
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2018 at 7:06AM
I don't have a picture for your particular car, but take a photo of your setup and post it here and we can see if how it looks.  It's pretty straight forward to connect it.  Does the gas pedal pull the carb to WOT when it's floored?  Is there any binding in the linkage?  What kind of carb are you running?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Novarism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2018 at 9:17AM
I'm on a 24 hour shift today, but I'll shoot a few pictures tomorrow.
I went with the 2 barrel Autoline C833, since I was just trying to get the 302 running while the 390 is being rebuilt. The instructions included were amazingly generic, not even for my specific model or setup. Couple this with the fact that I can find no images on the internet for the throttle linkage setup for a 1968 Torino, it's been a little frustrating, lol.

Yes the gas pedal (currently) is pulling the carb to WOT (or what I can approximate to being WOT) when it is floored, but it just doesn't feel like I have much travel from the idle position to floored, perhaps because I'm used to modern vehicles? I know it's not hooked up right though, since I've got a really janky setup that regularly pops loose after a few uses, coupled with the fact there's a lot of unused parts that I know have a purpose, but cannot divine what they might be. I have no dash pot, which many diagrams refer to. I also have literally nothing hooked up to my choke, but the one gentleman I found with my same carburetor and engine (though in a Ford wagon, I think it was a Fairlane) had nothing hooked up to it either and claimed the engine ran fine. I cannot find those posts again, however.

Anyways, as I said I'll snap a few photos tomorrow when I get off of shift.

Thanks again,
Frost
Novarism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novarism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 4:01PM
Pictures!

So before anyone asks why I have a spring connected to the throttle link, it's because the rubber grommet where the linkage connects was dry rotted and fell out while I was playing with the setup. It's there because i do not have a cotter pin to keep the linkage in the hole.

Other than that, any assistance on the proper way to hook all this up would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, my choke is also not hooked up to anything either...

And here's just two quick over views to show the mess of vacuum hoses and other random hoses that are either not hooked up or bypassed... (Previous owner bypassed the heater core for reasons unknown).

Thanks again!
Frost

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 6:08PM
not sure but looking at the pics ...looks like the extra threads on the linkage with hit the firewall preventing you from getting full throttle???
 that style choke uses hot exhaust air to open the choke usually it has a steel fuel line type tubing from the exhaust cross over in the intake near it, but i don't see it on your intake some came from the back end of the exhaust manifold up to the choke.
 heater was probably bypassed because the core leaks???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2018 at 6:11PM
in this pic... see the vacuum nipple between the fuel filter and the carb mounting stud (under the right front of the carb) that goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor Wink

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 1:03AM
Not sure, as I'm no expert, but you may have that hooked up to the trans kickdown location. Throttle linkage should go further towards the front like in this pic of a 2-barrel. The rod closest to the carb body is the trans kickdown, and the one further away is the throttle. But I could also be wrong on your particular set-up, too. Someone will chime in quickly, I bet!

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 2:17AM
Pretty sure that ball affair towards the front of the car is where the throttle linkage connects. As mentioned above, you are probably hooked into the transmission kickdown hole.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 12:18PM
that ball stud is for the newer cable setup, but it looks like the ball has a nut on the back and can be removed then the linkage rod could go there Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2018 at 12:57PM
why is there a spring pulling the throttle OPEN ?

and why is the bellcrank not being used?

the pedal arm links to the bellcrank, and the bellcrank links to the carb

SPRINGS NEVER HOLD THE CARB OPEN
72 GT Ute

schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2018 at 1:23PM
Here's a few pics of the setup on mine.  '69 351W 2V.  Pretty sure it's as it left the factory as it's a 61k car that sat for 28 years.

Edited by schufitz - 01-September-2018 at 1:28PM
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2019 at 1:52PM
Anyone know where I can get that link rod that goes from the bell crank to the carburetor?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2019 at 2:42PM
maybe someone is parting out a car????? i only have 72 + parts
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2020 at 10:50AM
Ebay. I picked one up just on a random search.. Keep looking.. 
 Post Reply Post Reply