The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multi index timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi index timing
    Posted: 13-August-2018 at 9:31AM
OK folks when it rains it pours. Thought I had the 74 rancheros bump/miss thing all sorted out with the new distributor. The car still runs 80 X better after the distributor install. But after crusin around now for a couple of days I noticed my problem has not yet totally disappeared yet. After doing some more research I found that there is about 8 degrees of slop in my timing chain. I went out and ordered a new Cloyes set with the 3 key ways. Now here is the question. I have always run those in the straight up position. I want to run it in the advance position. So I want to verify how this would work :

1)Put cam gear with dot facing downward as you would for stock. 
2)put the lower gear in the advance key way slot (triangle)
3)turn the crank so the dot on the crank gear matches up with the dot on the cam gear. Like you would for stock. 
4) once those are lined up remove gears and install with chain.
5) rotate engine around once to check for clearance issues.
please let me know if this is the correct process I would hate to screw this up!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 9:41AM
i think you got it Dan, just substitute the advance keyway for the 0 and you'll be golden

if you take it apart with the marks lined up you won't have to turn the crank very far or risk piston to valve contact. i seriously doubt you'll have any clearance issues with the chain installed in the +4 slot but turning the crank to find the alignment does present a possibility of a piston finding a valve at / near max lift

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-August-2018 at 9:51AM
72 GT Ute

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 10:26AM
0 is where it was last time. what sort of vacuum should I expect to see from a cam with a 270 duration and a .519 lift? This thing runs 12 inches @ 650 RPM I feel that something in the timing is retarded. (or am I retarded) I would like to get the vacuum up a bit if possible.  
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 10:28AM
I was also thinking I would give the engine a complete spin around to make sure nothing binds. 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 11:21AM
The early BBF timing set has the crank gear with the straight-up or "O" timing mark centered on the gear tooth above it, the later BBF timing sets has the "O" timing mark off-centered of this tooth. Even when installed "straight-up" the later timing set will retard the camshaft timing 8 degrees. Now that said, you can advance the camshaft timing with to "actual" straight-up status with the late timing set by installing the crank gear in the 4 degrees advanced position(4 crank degrees equals 8 camshaft degrees-crank does 2 revolutions to camshaft's single revolution). I would also suggest degreeing in your camshaft to verify any camshaft timing changes, doing this can make a world of difference in how engine runs/behaves. Good luck

Edited by aquartlow - 13-August-2018 at 11:27AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 1:58PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

I was also thinking I would give the engine a complete spin around to make sure nothing binds. 

spin it all you want with the cam & crank sych'd together in time but turn the crank without the cam and you'll find a valve that's full open somewhere along the way. the reason i turn the engine through a complete cycle (2 crank rev's) is to verify that the marks are where i thought they were, just in case i went cross-eyed for a minute. i usually fire the engine for a few seconds at this point for a 2nd opinion

if there is actually an interference issue and you turn the engine through it'll be a done deal. it takes a lot of cam and a lot of piston to get into trouble, i don't think you're anywhere near that neighborhood. here's an interesting experiment, take a cylinder PSI reading before you take it apart then again after it's together ...
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 1:34PM
so what's up Dan is it back in time?

72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 1:49PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

so what's up Dan is it back in time?

Never knew Accel plug wires would be able to handle the 1.21 Gigawatts(jiggawatts)Big smile, but there's the proof right there.

Edited by aquartlow - 26-August-2018 at 1:49PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2018 at 2:25PM
solid core, but just barely
72 GT Ute

rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2018 at 8:00AM
can I degree the cam on my 460 never started or ran rebuild ? due to lack of money , this build has set all done except externals for 10 years. is there any other things I should worry about with the motor sitting this long? no fluids have ever been entered, just a lot of engine lube from rebuild. thanks for your past advice as always
 Post Reply Post Reply