The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino front end parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino front end parts
    Posted: 14-August-2018 at 4:02AM
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, if it isn't I'll happily move it. Some of you may have already spoken to me about this in my welcome post but I figured I'd get an official post written up for this specific topic. I've got a 1973 Gran Torino that ended up in an accident about a week ago. The person who wrote up my insurance policy wrote it up incorrectly when everything was being setup and so I received significantly less back than I was supposed to, which makes things very tight for me financially between parts and labor.

Basically I was wondering if anybody here has any good sources for my front end body parts. I'm working with about $4000 and need a replacement hood, grille, bumper, and both front fenders. And probably some of the trim for up front. If any of that can be ignored for now then I'm not too worried about it and can deal with it when I have some more money, mostly just looking to get it back on the road but I don't want to take any steps backwards body work wise. I haven't bothered with any body yet so I don't really know what the worth of each piece should be based on condition. I have however been looking and found a 1975 Gran Torino in pretty good shape for ~$1500 (plus a 28 hour drive ~$400 round trip). And although it won't replace my grille or bumper it would replace everything else I'm looking for, but probably leave me with a little bit of rust.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated, thankyou to everybody for any assistance ahead of time as well as for all of the warm welcomes!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 2:05PM
you might not like what i'm about to say right off the bat but think about it ...

use the $4k to buy a different Torino and use yours for parts and/or sell parts for funds for what the new car might need. unless the floors & cowl of your car are totally solid you'll be hours / months  / years ahead starting fresh not to mention $$$. the more you spend up front saves exponentially in restoration and repairs, $4k is a good chunk and you should be able to find a good car in much better shape than what you have today, sorry for your loss
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 2:58PM
Front end parts will all have to be sourced used or from a parts car.  Dan the Ranchero man mentioned that he's used BlueOval parts before, but he's pricey.  http://www.blueoval6079.com/   He may have the parts you need.  Otherwise, you going to have to scour CL, eBay, scrap yards and swap meets. 
Make a post in the classified section of the site with a list of what you need.  Some guys on here have parts cars and other spare parts.

That '75 parts car might work, but as you already know the front end on a '75 is different and the back ends are totally different.  You could use the fenders and hood though.

You might want to give Rockatansky's idea some thought.  You might be able to find a pretty clean Torino for 4K and if your car has cowl rot and/or bad floors it might not be worth saving.

I am sorry that your car got damaged, and hopefully you can hunt down the parts to save it or at least use it to save another Torino.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
brandonlabounty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 12:16AM
That's what I've already been trying to do, but I'm trying to find a parts car with no rust. My car was pretty solid minus I think two very tiny rust holes in the floor. Money is tight and I don't have the free time to do the work myself so I'm stuck trying to find something cheap enough that I can still pay for the parts to be swapped over. Which leaves me about 3k to work with. Keeping in mind that I have already had basically the entire interior done as well as my transmission and engine completely rebuilt. Unless somebody here knows of any very cheap cars with little to no work left to be done then I will probably never find anything for $3000 in a better condition than my car is.
73fastback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73fastback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 2:28AM
Where r u located? I know of a 73 four door that is in good shape it would be good for parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 2:34AM
Albany, NY. But like I had already said to somebody else, me and my father have plans to go on a 28 hour round trip just to take a look at a 75, so distance isn't really a big deal. As long as it's solid and a fair price then I'll make the ride.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 2:35AM
Would you be able to get me any pictures of it by chance?
73fastback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73fastback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 2:39AM
Oh I see this is in shaunavon, Saskatchewan Canada. I don’t have pictures at the moment it’s back where I used to live.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 3:06AM
Oh wow, that's about twice as far as where we are already planning to go. I wasn't expecting anything in Canada. Well if you are able to get me pictures or contact information for the owner that would be great. Like I said if it's the right price I'll still drive out there. As long as it will end up being cheaper in the end than what I would be looking at in Iowa
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2018 at 8:50PM
Have you contacted the insurance company to ask if they can correct the report so you can get the higher amount?
Just a thought.
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonlabounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 2:48AM
Yeah we gave that a shot immediately and we got shut down. Which really sucks unfortunately.
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2018 at 7:24AM
Private message sent.....check your inbox

Dave
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
bamatorino73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamatorino73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2018 at 7:49AM
Have you looked on craigslist or onecraigslist.
cdavis 73 GTS 351c Q laster stripes
 Post Reply Post Reply