The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil over conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil over conversion
    Posted: 27-August-2018 at 7:19AM
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 1:11PM
That's a bad system design for the front setup. The shock will be sideloaded like crazy as the suspension travels. I doubt it would last the 2 years it's supposed to if the car is driven a lot. Another issue is putting all that force into the lower control arms at the shock mount points. The material isn't thick enough to support all the focused load. There would have to be some serious reinforcement stuff welded to the control arms to make me feel safe.

QA1 makes a similar setup for the 70s GM F-Bodies and I really think it's more of a show car setup if anything.

For a serious setup, always stick to the name brands or OEM for shock stuff. Koni, Bilstein, KW, Penske... There are decades of R&D into most of the shock designs, valving, materials, and tuning. I'm not saying there aren't small companies out there making great products with innovative designs, just tread lightly and don't expect it to be right on the very first go. 
-Billy Conturo
whmitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2018 at 11:59PM
It was discussed before, in this thread:  

The Pure vision car used coil overs but they also significantly changed the mounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply