Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Line Routing and Holley Dual Feed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Line Routing and Holley Dual Feed
    Posted: 05-November-2018 at 2:54PM
I am trying to make up a fuel line for my engine. I have an RPC fuel pump which has 1/4" npt fittings. It got the adapter for a flare fitting and bent up some 3/8 hardline. The problem is the outlet on the RPC oump is different than an OEM pump and so I am having a tough time clearing the oil filter and the p/s pump return inlet. I need a very tight bend there but I can only do the bend so tight before the line collapses.

I am also having issue finding the room to run the line with the big 3/8 steel canister filter. I need some tight turns that I just can't make with hard line. And I don't what to use a big length of rubber hose to try and fit the filter. I might need to find a smaller 3/8 filter.

I have been considering using some AN type stuff but I have never used it before. I do see they have some nice tight elbows and bends that would make my job easy. And it looks like I can use compression fittings on hard lines. And of course I can use the braided stuff, but I have heard mixed reviews on the stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions or pics of their fuel line setups?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2018 at 3:18PM
 on the fuel pump NPT fittings... you should be able to find that NPT to flare fitting in a brass 90* thread that into the pump with the flare end upwards Wink you could put the filter in the rubber line from the frame to the pump (that's what i did)

edelman the brand here that has most of those fitting at the local parts store
 if you can't find that fitting in a 90 you could use a brass npt to npt 90 and screw the adapter into it....
 if you can't find anything like that locally let me know i can check here at the parts store and maybe send it to you if necessary Wink wish i'd have seen this post earlier, i was just there hangin' out like i always do b.s.ing and just helping customers LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2018 at 3:49PM
the bottom 1/2 of the pump is screw mounted to the body?

would clocking the bottom 1/2 help your routing?
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2018 at 1:46PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Clocking the pump will make it worse. This was the best I could do with the inlet and exits.  I think the 90 degree fitting should work.  I will still need to make a pretty sharp bend, but atleast it's not like 270 degrees that I have to turn now.  I called the local CARQUEST as I have bought Edelman fittings from them before.  They didn't have one in stock but will order it up.  I will pick up another length of hardline to try and make up a new line that will hopefully work better.

The other issue is the dual feeds.  My carb came with an all rubber hose setup, which I am not a fan of.  It worked fine, but now is the time to go to something better.  It looks like a lot of the hard line dual feeds are cheap chrome piped ones, or AN types with braided hoses.  Anyone have a recommendation for a decent setup?   As you can see with my current setup, there isn't a lot of room for the current filter I am using.  I can run the fuel line either in front of the distributor or behind (in the photo.  But in both cases, I need to make a pretty sharp 90 with a small radius, which I can't seem to get with this large 3/8's hardline without kinking.  I was thinking if I could get a 90 degree barbed fitting, that might help.  I know I can get pex brass fittings, but it's not really barbed and not sure if it's a good idea for fuel. 

Any thoughts on a good duel feed setup?   Any thoughts on the fuel line routing?

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2018 at 2:22PM
the chrome DP lines are very close to what you have now they should be chrome plated brass
the one i have on my car is just like this one:( it's shorter than most other chrome lines)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Quick-Fuel-4150-Chrome-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Log-9-313-5-8-Flare-Double-Pumper/152604999421?epid=227237215&hash=item2387f77efd:g:nDEAAOSwstJZQr7b:sc:USPSFirstClass!98596!US!-1:rk:28:pf:0

Edited by californiajohnny - 06-November-2018 at 2:32PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 1:14PM
1st i'd put the filter between the frame and the pump Wink

2nd i've never not had a problem with the chrome plating on the inside of the flare of the cheap whammy lines. i've used a file & drill bit to remove the plating, it's pretty brutal but they sealed afterwards Embarrassed. that was before these new AN fancy pants kits they have now. a member going way back on the Old 351C forum had his own company making SS carb lines, this is him, http://grahamperformancetubing.com/products/products.htm

no personal 1st hand experience but he said his lines were the Censored IDK?

Summit's search is so buggered i had to put keywords in the box to pull up this list,

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-feed-lines?N=4294949393&GroupBy=ProductName&GridPageSize=48&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=carb%20fuel%20line

thanks for the flashbacks LOL the cheapies with the regulator provision, that small port on the splitter ALWAYS leaks because they use a straight thread tap instead of a pipe taper so try to avoid that leaking pipe plug, maybe give an $11 delivered ebay special a try before dumping 10x that on a Percy's or QF Anodized Wonder Pipe? again, avoid the 1/8" port for a regulator!

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-feed-lines?N=4294949393&GroupBy=ProductName&GridPageSize=48&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=carb%20fuel%20line

i've had some pretty Uuugly supply rigs on my junk that i wouldn't go to any effort to reproduce but they worked at the time. i've become a big fan of the single feed carbs unless the dual is absolutely necessary to fulfill the performance requirements. i suppose the Holley transfer tube could be a smidge bigger but i guess as long as the secondary jets don't flow more than the tube it should be OK? besides i tend to run enough carbs to reduce the dependency on each needle & seat LOL

Edited by Rockatansky - 07-November-2018 at 1:16PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 1:21PM
stuff a bunch of rags under the bowl connections before you pump fuel to save the paint on your intake!

Edited by Rockatansky - 07-November-2018 at 1:21PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 1:31PM
Thanks guys for the advice.  I like those lines you posted Rock, I will have to see on the price and if the shipping to Canada isn't too crazy.  Otherwise, I will probably go with the setup Johnny used.  I like that one because it's short and it has a 5/8" inverted flare fitting.  I could run a 90 degree elbow there with inverted flare on one end and a barb on the other.  Then I could run the fuel filter and connect the other side the hard line which I can run up on the left side of the distributor.  From doing measurements, it looks like it should fit with lots of room and be nice an clean. Otherwise, I will move the filter to the frame rail if that doesn't work.

In the mean time I do have the hardware to just run rubber hose to the carb from the pump (with a filter) if I need to. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 2:10PM
Johnny's link has the leaker port on it Thumbs Down

same seller, no leak port, just use a 90* off the tee with a barb like you said

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Quick-Fuel-4150-Chrome-Fuel-Line-Fuel-Log-9-313-AN-Fittings-Double-Pumper/152766360618?epid=1633587653&hash=item239195ac2a:g:8XwAAOSw8GtZQsQJ

make sure any rubber sections are PTFE lined for protection against ethanol Wink

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 2:29PM
not sure where your sharp 90 will take you though?

are you familiar with Russel / whatever brand 'sweep 90*' fittings?

here's a tight 90* but they make increasingly larger radius 90's too

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 2:59PM
Russell black female AN to barb fittings, they say crimp on same as a clamp barb

(the barb is covered by the crimp sleeve)

Edited by Rockatansky - 07-November-2018 at 3:04PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 3:22PM
Yeah if get the Holley setup, I'd get the one without the port. I can get the Holley parts locally. Those AN fittings would work too. I'd have to go that route if I get the Graham performance tubing setup as it doesn't have an inverted flare option for my carb.

My plan with the 90 degree turn is it would run the fuel line between the carb and the dizzy. There is tons of room there for the filter and the line, even though it doesn't look like it in the pic. I did a rough mock up and I think that will work and look pretty clean.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 07-November-2018 at 3:23PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 3:32PM
IDK what brand line is on mine it came with the carb i got used for $30 Big smile i think it had that pressure gauge port plug in it? i'd have to look... it don't leak if it does... now i'll have to go out and look as i'm curious!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2018 at 4:24PM
enough teflon tape'll plug anything Clap

maybe the big plug has more taper than the set screw style i've seen

72 GT Ute

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2018 at 3:26PM
What about the dual feed Holley line and point it to the rear. Make a smooth 180 with a line bender? Then you can have as much room as you want.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 4:49AM
Thanks for the advice. I got the fuel run last week. I was able to get the bend to clear the p/s pump and the oil filter but its tight. The 90 degree adaptor NPT to flare nut didn't work with the fuel pump due to it hitting an edge on the pump before it tightened up.

I ended up buying the Holley hard line. It fits perfectly. I thought I could do a 90 degree turn and run the one behind the distributor but it didn't work. So this is what I came up with below.   Very minimal rubber line and clears everything.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 02-December-2018 at 5:15AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 8:15AM
might i suggest a strap clamp on that line to the top water pump bolt to keep the line from vibrating around and cracking or rubbing a hole somewhereWink
 that water neck... HeartShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 9:24AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

might i suggest a strap clamp on that line to the top water pump bolt to keep the line from vibrating around and cracking or rubbing a hole somewhereWink
 that water neck... HeartShocked

Thanks John. This is just the mockup so I will clamp it somehow. I don't want the vibration to work harden the line either. Do you have any suggestions that will work for clamps?

FWIW, the clearances around the water next and such are a lot better than they look in the photo. I made sure it was near nothing that could cause damage.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 9:56AM
 if it's close enough, just one of those rubber lined or plasti dipped clamps
KMC COV1709Z1 1" Heavy Duty Vinyl Coated Cushion Tube Clamp Loop Strap 25pk USA!

no i meant that water neck is sweet, a shame to have to put a hose on there and cover it up Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2018 at 11:02AM
power steering bracket and top water pump bolt might be a place to grab the fuel line?

no stress, no pulling, bend the line to suit the clamp ;)

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply