The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roller Rocker questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roller Rocker questions.
    Posted: 10-December-2018 at 6:04AM
So...after a uneventful(read;great)time in Daytona for the rod run, driving into work on Monday my T-bird suffered a roller rocker failure.  no warning, just spit a bearing out one side.  got to the side of the road, and hauled to my shop.  As of yesterday, I'm roadworthy again, but it did raise a few questions with me I'm hoping the group can help me with;

1. Does anybody else have the bolt-on stud conversion kit?  I had one stud backing out of the head while I was replacing the rocker, and would like to know if this is common(Checked the rest, red threadlocked the offending stud).

2. I replaced the whole set of rockers with a set I bought off Ebay from a company called Speedmaster.  I'd never heard of them, but the price was right($111 and free shipping), and the product I received seems to be quality built.  Anybody else had dealings with or heard of them?

3. This is a hydraulic roller setup. and the rockers came with no directions, I watched a few MT and YT videos, and I set the rockers to zero lash plus 1/4 turn.  Everything sounds fine, but I'm always open to 2nd opinions(and third, fourth, etc...Big smile)

Thanks for reading this far, and any input will be appreciated.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 12:06PM
1st thing toss the rest of the rockers into the bin and suck up the loss before more loose bearings destroy the rest of the engine. procomp / speedmaster is well known far and wide for being junk, it's been said that the only part they can make that won't fail is one with no moving parts but that has been proven wrong

IIRC the Crane stud conversion studs are supposed to be thread locked and torqued into the heads per instructions. cleaning the holes for the thread locker is very important, there is a newer type of self-primer loctite but i'm not sure i'd trust that for the sake of not cleaning & drying the holes & studs

1/4 turn preload will work, one detail is to check to make sure you have the flat side of the pivot axle facing upward and that the adjuster fits into the machined flat. parts made by different outfits sometimes don't play together nice, and there are different diameter adjusters available for this reason

procomp / speedmaster = Dead
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 12:56PM
Tim Meyer uses Scorpion roller rocker arms and they seem to have a good reputation.  The ones on my engine built are the scorpion rocker arms with the pedestal mounts.  They are more pricey than what you bought.  You can get them through Summit or TMI.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 5:42PM
yes clean the threads and red loctite!
only dealings i had with procomp/speedmaster... i bought a polished intake from them, a polished and unpolished showed up Shocked i called them and they argued with me that they sent a polished like i ordered! i guess they were too dense to understand that they sent 1 of each but billed for only the 1??? LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2018 at 6:04PM
Has anyone used the bolt down crane/ford motorsport/cobra 5/16" 1.7:1 bolt down roller silver rockers on a 351C heads? part#f-F3ZE-6529-AB with any problems?
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 1:15AM
Thanks for the input guys!  

@Rockatansky, I replaced the full set w/the Speedmaster set, as it was what I could afford(Money's tight, yada yadaBig smile), and so far no issues.  And yeah, made sure all the flats were up.  Guess I'll be stress testing these for the rest of the group, as this is my daily driver.  Stay tuned!LOL

@72FordGTS, I'd heard good things about the Scorpion parts, they get press on Engine Masters and Roadkill Garage.  But I had to go real inexpensive if not cheap(see above), and the Speedmaster parts were about 1/3 the cost of the Scorpions I saw listed.

@Californiajohnny, If you don't need that second intake manifold...Big smile

@The Torino Kid, I haven't used that particular set, but the Crane Cams setup I'm using I believe is the same setup without the Ford part number.  My only problem so far was listed at the beginning of the thread.  I'll post some pics later.

Again, thanks for the responses, and any and all issues with the Speedmaster parts will be listed here.Thumbs UpBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 3:47AM
too late... sold it to another member a year ago
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2018 at 5:11AM
CryBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
 Post Reply Post Reply