The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My oddball 68 GT fastback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My oddball 68 GT fastback
    Posted: 17-November-2008 at 5:36PM
#1 I Cant type For DoDo Please Bear With Me.
I have a 1968 Torino GT Fastback That I Bought In 1971 when I was 17 years old, am now restoring to a point of a restomod (sort of). My question is Does anyone have an Idea when where or how my car wound up with a 427 motor? I need info. and ideas for restoring, engine (the original 427 was stolen over the years in storage.)The car is now in the body and paint shop being worked on. I'm doing some modifications to the body. I.E. removing most of the trim and chrome. I need some body parts especially a hood, And front windshield. my plan is to repaint the car black cherry with no stripes.
I need imput and suggestions. I'm New to this forum and appreciate your patience and help.   

Capt John
death to tuners!
torino390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 7:28PM
427? are you sure? a real, cross bolted mains 427? - wish mine did!!! get onto those guys at fordfe.com. they'll be able to offer all the info you'll ever need. good luck with the build.
Nick, UK.
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 11:11AM
Yes a real crossbolted,side oiling,dual quad "COBRA LEMANS" 427. Just after I bought the car in 1971 I had to take it back to the dealer (VILLA FORD)in Orange to have a new type smog device installed,the service manager called to have my father and myself (I was only 17 at that time)to come down to the dealership because they "arn't sure what motor is in this car". They had to pull the heads to drill out for the exhaust tube inserts,they realized that they were not looking at a 390 as the car was supposed to have,(vin,fender emblems ect.) The intake valve chambers were big enough to put your fist in, that huge oval aircleaner and 2, 4 barrels got their couriosity going, finally one of the "old guys" that my dad knew came over and looked and told us that
"thats a 427, must have been dealer installed at purchase".Thats about all I know,except that the car was so fast that it was scary. I'm still trying to find out more. I'll try fordfe.com ,   THANKS MUCH!
death to tuners!
torino390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2008 at 2:29AM
WOW!!! that really is interesting.

i've put a link to this thread on the fordfe.com site, hope you don't mind.

there were no factory 427's as i'm sure you're aware, which is a shame. that engine was about done by '68, and replaced by the 428. your car is almost bound to be a dealer installation, someone spent some serious cash on that, they must have really loved that car. i assume there is another 427 going in the car? i'm really jealous! Wink

if possible, post some details on the fordfe.com site. i know there will be plenty of interest there.

cheers, Nick.
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2008 at 4:22PM
Nick, don't mmind at all, I'm open to all imput on this project. fe forum guys can reach me here or at my e mail. Yes I know the 427 era was about over but dealers had all kinds of options available to them , and remember,a 427 only cost about 1500 dollars in the day, compared to 15000 dollars today... if you can find one, for that reason I am more likely to build a 390. I am more interested in a freeway flyer than an off the line car.It takes a lot of power to get those big slugs turningand the 427 was only good for about 55 to 5800 r.p.m. I am looking for around 6500.A lot can be done to a 390, tricks to make it oil better, and a stroker kit to 441 cubes, with a full roller valve train and dual quads she should really romp, plus she's old so NO SMOG! Every one tells me what the car can't have including , of all things,hood scoops "hood scoops were not available untill 69" However mine had a scoop with cutouts, also did you know a 429 was available for the 68 G.T.? Thanks for the imput,keep it coming.
death to tuners!
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2008 at 7:23PM
Thanks Torino 390 for the info. on Fordfe.com, saw your posting and was suprised to see that no one had anything negetive to say, all was actually pretty positive. Most tell me that I'm crazy(written "you're full of it") and then all the self proclaimed "EXPERTS" come uot of the woodwork. The wierdest thing about that motor that always struck me funny was the screw-in soft plugs, was that the only motor by Ford that used them? I have a 427 that I can afford if the guy has not sold it by friday, dig this- standard boreand standard grind on the crank!, is that too cool or what? Oh yeah I also found out in all my searching that a 429 AND the 427 was offered in the 68 G.T. although none were ever officially ordered and sold and Ford says that their records wer'nt always exactly to the record in those days,so I could have a very rare car, but to prove it will be tough if not impossible, more likely impossible. The whole idea however is pretty cool,I always LOVED that car. The king of the freeway fliers in those days was the 3208GTB Ferrari, that TORINO would eat them alive on the open freeway.I do believe that the Torino invented Drifting as I'm sure I spent as much time sideways as I did going straight....EAT THIS McQUEEN! Take care.
death to tuners!
GranTorinslo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2008 at 8:06AM
Have you dug out the build sheet?  Even if your VIN doesn't reflect the car coming with a 427, if you could find a build sheet showing that Ford installed a 427 rather than the dealer that would be interesting.
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2008 at 4:12PM
I don't want to sound stupid but.... Whats a build sheet?, and where do I find it? The guys at Ford Racing(and you have to look for someone thats been there a while,most of the guys there seem to think that if its not a mustang ,and a newer one then it does'nt or did'nt exist and could'nt be hi performance its like mustangs are all they know)told me that records were kept,at times, and sometimes things were changed on a whim or one of those "Hey lets do this"kind of things. I mean holy crap! what would my car be worth if it turned out that it had a real factory 427!!!? So I'm satesfied to believe that someone had the dealer or another source install the 427, besides I'm building a hot rod (restomod) not a concourse restoration,I'm looking at 4 link coilover rear and mustang II type coil over front with rack and pinion power steering. I already have front disc brakes, but will go to trick larger rotors and calipers and want to change out the rears to discs as well, I am now at a delima as to what tires and wheels to run, I like the TA radials but they are only rated to 118 m.p.h.(sustained). These cars had major amounts of horsepower and torque but WAY undersized tires and inadequate suspension even with the front and rear anti-sway bars which I have. Anyway, it should be MAJOR FUN when its finished (if I ever get it to that point.     THANKS
death to tuners!
torino390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2008 at 9:55PM
Capt John, if your lucky, the build sheet could still be with the car. sometimes under the rear seat base, tucked in between the springs and the foam, usually folded up. could possibly be under the carpet somewhere. trouble with a 40 year old car is what it's had done in the past. chances are someone found it way before you and it got lost. BUT, if you find it and it has any evidence of that 427, you have a very very rare car. maybe even a one-off. trouble then is, if it is rare, do you build it stock and realise it's true worth, or do you build it as you want and have fun? i'm from the 'find a rare car and chop it up' side of the field. concours cars are nice - to look at and dream about 'the good old days', but as you rightly say, in 40 years, so many things can be improved upon, like brakes, suspension etc, so why not improve it and have some fun instead of worrying about someone scratching your 'trailer queen'?
oh, and your right about the mustang crowd too. no offence, but some of them ain't interested if it's not a 'stang. a bit like sheep following the heard. be bold, do something wild and different. they'll never admit it, but they'll secretly be just a tiny bit envious of your torino - especially with a snorting 427 under that hood! long live the FE!!!
(oh yeah, just ordered my 445cu in stroker kit...Wink)
keep spinning those wheels! take care, Nick.
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 5:17PM
YEA BABY YEA!!!!   O.K. I'm told the big stroker kit for the 390 comes out to 441 c.i. Tell me about the 445 kit you have ordered. You know thet you can have the oil galleys drilled out, put on a 428 c.j. oil filter housing so it flows more oil (the inlet and outlet are bigger). And with a GOOD steel crank you should even be able to cross drill it. The big magic of the 427 is OILING so they live . However in my humble opinion the 390 has the capability to actually make at least as much h.p.as the 427 but can make more r.p.m. and stay alive. The 427 had all that low end torque from those huge slugs which is why they came off the line so dang hard and out of the curves and corners into hard acceleration so fast( even the Ferrari v12s couldnt quite get it) I would really like to install another 427 but budget may warrant a stroked out full roller 390, My main objective is to make it   FAST as in GONE LIKE A COOL BREEZE. These new freeway fliers however sure would look twice at that little 427 emblem on the hood scoop tho, would'nt they? Went to see the car today, all the glass is out the doors are off, the fenders are off along with the hood and both bumpers and everything is primered, this thing is going to be sooooo BAD!!!! Take care
death to tuners!
torino390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 7:27PM
oh yes! i've had a bit of trouble in the past with my 390 eating cams... so at this time, the motor is out and down to a bare block. i found the cause of the problem, it was basically my own fault for leaving metal fragments from when i did the oil gallery mod. ah well, learning all the time... the block is bored .030, so with a 4.250 scat crank, it is somewhere between 444 and 445cu in. i have some other goodies for it too. edey heads and RPM intake with 750 double pumper holley. flat top probe pistons and H beam chevy rods. with 72cc chambers, should give me around 10.7:1 compression. i'm going all roller with the cam and valve gear too, not a wild cam, the car will only be street driven. i already have hooker super comp headers and a 2.5 inch flowmaster 40 system on the car. target is 500hp and 500ft lb. should be able to get those kind of numbers i think... i'm just doing the axle at the moment, locking diff but keeping my 3.25 gears - like i say, mainly street driven, and gas is pretty expensive here. should be fun though! roll on summer! please post some pics as you go, or send them to me at nickfprice@msn.com  always interested in another '68, there ain't many of us left! got to go to work now, need to make some more $$$ to finance this 'money pit!'
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2008 at 5:03PM
Boy are we thinking along the same lines! Will you go roller rockers as well? I'm interested in your cam specs. As far as h.p.goes I've always felt that a good, healthy motor, even not too altered, should get at least 1 h.p. per cubic inch (if not, throw it out)so you're starting out around 425 to 450 h.p. So with your heads and intake, and depending on cam specs I don't think that 500+ is out of reach nor too much to expect. The best thing about these motors is that their torque curve goes up almost side by side with the h.p.curve.(BIG BLOCK GOOD). I can't get over however that you are in England with a 68 Torino building a hot-rod, just blows me away! Well back to your motor, is that Scat crank a steel or billet crank and who did you order the kit from? was it a complete kit? Can you get me the supplier's address or phone #,I have to check more into a stroker kit in case I do build a 390 as a stroker, I'm leaning however toward dual 650's and a little hotter cam. C-YA Nick, Make that money honey,baby needs more parts.
death to tuners!
69 gt fastback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 gt fastback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2010 at 2:47PM
i put a 427 side oiler in my 69 fastback and its awesome check the #s on the block for example mine 427 #s are c6ae h the other way is to remove the heads and measure the cylender 427 were like 4.23 dia

Edited by 69 gt fastback - 17-April-2010 at 2:54PM
 Post Reply Post Reply