The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb recommendation for a 460 Ford

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kicosalor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb recommendation for a 460 Ford
    Posted: 27-December-2018 at 12:47AM
I need a good recommendation far a carb on a Ford 460 engine https://mechanicfaq.com/carburetors-for-ford-460/ . The engine is out of a 77 Lincoln Mark V and is going into a 78 F250 with a 4 speed trans. The motor is all stock with 8:0-8:5 compression, except for the double roller timing chain I put in at zero degrees up. The 460 has to only turn a alternator and a power steering pump, this is two less accessories to turn when it was in the Lincoln. I live at a elevation of 5500 feet and don't need as much cfm as per say sea level. The truck is going to be pulling a twin axle 18" flatbed trailer everyday around town(work truck). I would like to get the best milage possible but on the other hand I will need the power at times. The stock carb was a 600 cfm Ford Motorcraft 4350 four barrel spread bore carb(junk). I have a adapter plate to fits a standard four barrel Holley or Edelbrock carb on the stock spread bore intake. I was thinking maybe a 650 vac sec Holley with a electric choke or would a 750 Holley or Edelbrock be better or too much? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Kicosalor - 27-December-2018 at 12:48AM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2018 at 11:01AM
Make sure you install an early 68-71 timing set like a Cloyes 9-3122, it WILL have straight up valve timing when set at 0 degrees. The later 72-87 sets(like a Cloyes 9-3130) WILL be 8 degrees retarded when installed in the straight up 0 degree timing marks. I would recommend degreeing in the cam/timing set to be absolutely sure, I set an off-brand timing set @ 4 degrees advanced and later found with a degree wheel that the timing set was installed 8 degrees retarded. If you want your 460 to run at it's best DO NOT rely on the "dot to dot" timing set installation method. As far as carb goes, I like a 750 cfm #3310 version of a Holley with electric choke, 71 or 72 primary jets, 6.5 power valve(a 4 speed may like an 8.5 power valve better) and black secondary spring. A Holley #1850 or #9834 600cfm carb will work, but since these are so small the secondaries will be opening around 18-2000 rpm no matter what secondary spring you use(black has the highest tension). I had an '82 F250 with a 460 I pulled from a '76 T-bird, using the stock cast iron intake(THE BEST manifold for making low end torque) 8.0 compression, Melling MTF-4 camshaft and cleaned up the EGR bump in the exhaust port. Mated to a C6 auto and BW 1345 transfer case, it had enough grunt to burn both rear 39" Swampers with 3.54 gears and got 10.5-11mpg at 60mph. I could not find much of a difference in mileage between the 750 and the 600 cfm vacuum secondary carbs, tuning is the key. I have never run an Edelbrock and have heard good things, just know my way around a Holley carb. Hope this helps and sorry for the long reply.

Edited by aquartlow - 27-December-2018 at 11:02AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2018 at 11:23AM
I would also recommend "tuning" your Duraspark's timing curve(if still using the factory distributor), really makes a difference in power and mileage with very little cost. Here is a good link for Duraspark tuning info: http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2018 at 12:08PM
That 18" trailer should be a breeze to pull. 😉

That's all I got.
 Post Reply Post Reply