The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carburation 72 gran torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibbsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carburation 72 gran torino
    Posted: 24-January-2004 at 7:13AM
i have recently overhualed the 2bbl carb on my 72 4 door , and after tuning it , it still idles rough whil'st in gear at say an intersection for example, whilst in park and neutral it idles smooth , i know theres a linkage from the tranny to the carb but im not sure as to how it affects the idle - mixture settings, any info would be  great or if any body knows of anyone in the bay area that good with tuning these older type cars that would be great.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2004 at 10:21PM

There is strain put on the engine when the trany is in drive.If there is any remote timing error or vacuum leak it will run rough.Have you timed it?

The best investment I ever made was on protronics electronic ignition and quality timing light w/rmp meter.See if that does it.good luck.

gibbsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibbsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2004 at 6:46AM
thanks , im going to give the pertronixs ignition a go this week
rrlcommish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2004 at 10:01PM

You won't be disappointed by the Pertronix Ignitor.  It made a world of difference on how mine ran.  I have a '72 351C-2V.  Getting a quality timing light is another excellent suggestion.  Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply