The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feasibility of a budget manual swap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.norton07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feasibility of a budget manual swap?
    Posted: 15-January-2019 at 8:51AM
Hi all,

Wondering about the feasibility of swapping a manual trans into a '78 Cougar on a budget.  I'm working with a bone-stock 351 Windsor and FMX transmission and have read that a M5OD would bolt up well.  I'm interested in what others have to say on the subject and curious to see if anyone else here has done anything similar.

Also wondering what all would I have to do in order to make this swap legitimate and what precautions to take- pedal assembly, wiring, vacuum, flywheel/clutch, and so on- and if it'd be best to get a non-running donor car so that I'm not hunting for every little part I need.  Thanks all!

Edited by j.norton07 - 15-January-2019 at 9:01AM
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2019 at 1:24PM
I don't have parts for that swap, but I do have a bunch of misc. '78 cougar parts....

Dave
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2019 at 2:45PM
The only swaps I have seen people doing on here are Tremec swaps. So you may be going into uncharted territory. Maybe some of the others who've done a manual swap will chime in.

The toughest part was getting the pedal assembly but the aftermarket makes on now. Check out the thread here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/info-manual-transmission-pedal-from-mdl_topic16929.html
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2019 at 9:16AM

they mention early on that it's a truck transmission,

i'm not familiar with the over-all size of the M5OD but i know the E4OD is a monster

72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2019 at 11:30AM
My son's '95 F150 had a auto to manual swap and the manual was an M5OD 4x4 version, basically looks like a Ranger sized trans(too small), looks to be smaller overall as compared to a C4(but it has been a long while since I messed with a C4).  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:19PM
M50D R2 for F150 should fit, use hydraulic clutch for early 90s era F150.
Use pedal box from a F50 as well.
Don't use the Ranger trans, much weaker.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
j.norton07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.norton07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:23PM
Does it make a difference whether the tranny comes from a 2x4 or a 4x4 truck?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:27PM
You will need a 2WD model, the 4WD version has the "cast in place" adapter for a transfer case.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:28PM
transfer case replaces tailshaft on 4x4, so you want a 2 wheel drive unit.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.norton07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:30PM
Alright, got it. Any concerns as far as putting in the pedal assembly and doing any wiring inside the car?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 2:45PM
I did some preliminary measuring in my Thunderbird, wanted to use a 300 I6 and 5 speed.
I got the idea from a friend's 65 Galaxie which got the swap done.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.norton07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 3:45PM
Looking at this as a parts truck: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/hudson-1997-ford-f150/6789654714.html

You did say early 90s though, I'm guessing the later ones have some sort of computer that complicates things a little bit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.norton07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2019 at 3:53PM
And when you say early 90s I'm assuming you refer to the ninth gen pickups (92-96)?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2019 at 1:16PM
I was going to use a 91 as a parts truck, because I had it already.
I REALLY wanted to use the big inline 6, and the truck 5 speed. It was not going to fit under the hood with the factory fuel injection. Not even close. 
The truck in the ad you posted is a V6 4.2, not a 300, but either will have the small block ford bell pattern. It should have a hydraulic throwout bearing, not a slave cylinder, but not a big issue to replace if the trans is out anyway. Later transmissions don't have provisions for mechanical speedo cables, so check that detail as well.
Trans should work, but the shifter may be in a different location than the earlier trucks.
Shifter will be a LONG lever.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply