The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member from germany

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from germany
    Posted: 21-January-2019 at 6:00AM
Hey guys,

my name is Michael from Munich, Germany.... Of course you heard about the "Oktoberfest" before ;).

Last august a dream became true and i bought my 1973 Ford Gran Torino 4drs Sedan with 351 cui engine.

At this time my Torino is in the workshop. Only a few thing must be done befor i can start the engine for my first time.

I´m really looking forward to to write and talk to you.

Cheers from Germany 

Michi
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 7:43AM
Welcome aboard!Thumbs UpBig smile
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 7:57AM
Welcome and lets see it. 👍😉
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 11:28AM
Welcome!

I spent a summer (1982) in Germany during High School. I worked at a camp along Starnberger See.   We had one week during which we worked at a school in Munich re-painting some of the classrooms.

One memorable moment of the trip--after I was picked up at the airport, we were driving on the autobahn....tooling along on of the middle lanes. I felt like we were moving at a pretty good rate of speed, so I looked over the at the speedo-----150kph. In my feeble high school brain, I figured that out to be somewhere around 100mph. Whoah!!!   Just then, a sporty little car totally blew our doors off from the left and disappeared out in front almost immediately. I still have no clue what it was, or even how fast he must have been going--but it could have been 150mph or waaaay more.

Thanks for the memory! Glad you're here now, hope you have a good time with your project!
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 1:10PM
welcome! yes post pics when you can Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2019 at 11:43PM
Welcome to the forum Michi! You've been upgraded to a full member, so you can upload photos now.

Here is a post with some instructions should you need help:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/how-to-post-a-picture-updated_topic16433&FID=18&PR=3.html
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Dr_Caramba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 7:47AM
Wow,... what a great story! 
I hope that you enjoyed your stay in Munich very well. The Starnberger See is very beautiful. In summer i spend some days of my freetime there.

The "Autobahn" is very good, and we´re very proud about it. Yesterday i drove over 130 mph there =) =) =)

Would you ever come back to germany?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 7:48AM
Thank you so mich for that =)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 7:50AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 7:51AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 7:53AM
Here it is =)

Yesterday i found the left front fender moulding on ebay.

But i really have some problems to find new weatherstrips.  Confused
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2019 at 5:52PM
wow looks nice! what year is your car? i see a 73 rear bumper but 74-76 front end???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 1:30AM
Interesting. That looks like a '73 as you said, but appears to have a later nose.

The fronts are interchangeable, but the rear bumpers are kind of the give-away. If I remember correctly, the rear bumper mounts and frame configuration changed for the heavier '74+ rear. So, since it still has the '73 rear bumper, that would indicate a '73 body/frame mount for the bumper.

Dave F
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 7:33AM

I have this nice one here in Europe. Torino NOS Trunk Lid Molding

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2019 at 2:39PM
The car looks great. I am sure it must be an unusual site in Germany! I agree with Dave and John, a '73 body with '74-76 front end. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Caramba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 6:47AM
Of course it is.... I never saw a Gran Torino in germany yet. I´m really looking forward to start the engine for the first time. :)

Dave is correct. It is a 73´one. 

Is it unusual that a Torino is having a different front to the rear in this year? 
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 9:13AM
Nice looking car and welcome.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 12:57PM
Originally posted by Dr_Caramba Dr_Caramba wrote:

Is it unusual that a Torino is having a different front to the rear in this year? 
I would say it's not common to see a '73 with a '74-76 front end, but I am sure it's been done before. 

Good luck getting the car started!
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 3:29PM
There are plenty of forums regarding nose swaps. Just do some searches and you'll find that pretty much any 72+ nose swap can be done to change the look. My guess is that either someone wanted the later nose, or there was an accident that was repaired by swapping the front clip.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2019 at 3:32PM
not as uncommon as a 73 fastback with a 74 front Shocked there's one up at that yard...owner step son told me that was his brother's old car and it's original! i laughed and told him look closely you can see the front is a shade darker blue which that front end came from the other blue 74 car there that happens to be missing the front end!!! hmmmWink and BTW no parts off of that car! Angry it'll rot awayConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 12:43PM
There's a guy near me with a 72 fastback with a base front clip. looks like a 70-71 as you see him coming, then you see the rest...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2019 at 12:59PM
Yup...'72 base torino nose
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
 Post Reply Post Reply