Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PI exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 12:35PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

Standard police big blocks maybe but the hi-po police interceptor engines got their own unique maniolds similar to the cobra jet manifolds of 70/71. they used them until 74 when those and the d20e heads went bye bye.
According to the parts catalog, which is usually pretty bang on, all 1972 an 1973 Torinos, Police interceptor or otherwise used the same manifolds. The right side manofolds on the 72 and 73 cars shows interchangeable with the earlier CJ/SCJ engines.  So, basically the way I read it is, all big block 1972 and 1973 Torinos get the good manifolds.

That said, the 1972-72 Fullsize Fords and Thunderbirds used the standard manifold.  Only the fullsize Ford police cars with the interceptor engines got the good Torino manifolds.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2019 at 2:46PM
My 460 in the Gold '72 Formal has van manifolds. They are supposed to flow better than stock Torino manifolds but not as good as CJ versions/headers. That is basically the reason for me not stepping up to headers.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2019 at 3:14PM
Joe, that was my thought, these would have better flow than stock without the possible fitment issues of the headers.  I will be checking on getting it repaired and if possible will be using these.  Thanks to everyone for their input  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12