The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351c heads question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351c heads question
    Posted: 15-March-2019 at 3:23AM
Have a quick question. Can someone tell me what the hex type bolts are called that are in the 351c head below the srpings? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but a couple weeks ago i was going to put my new valve cover gaskets on and i noticed that there were only 3 of those hex type bolts and it looks like it has another spot for another one. Is there supposed to be 3 or 4 of them? Was going to take a pic but my car is in a storage unit for the winter so there is no lighting in there. Thanks
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 9:39AM
the threaded core plugs?

i've never had one out, no reason to mess with them

72 GT Ute

Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 11:51AM
Yes those threaded plugs. Is there supposed to only be 3 of them?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 11:57AM
see how they are between each set of intake/exhaust valves? if there is an open hole in the same position at one set of valves, then a plug is missing.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 3:15PM
Ok thank you
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 2:00AM

Has anyone ever seen this. Kind of the same thing as my last question but this is the opposite side and this time there is what looks to be little broken pieces down by that hole. Wondering whats going on. Any input would be appreciated thanks
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 2:34AM
Remainder of the valve seals.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 3:00AM
well thats not good. Doesnt gelp that my car in a storage unit right now either

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 3:03AM
I wouldn't worry about it if it is going into storage. You could changw all if the seals one cylinder at a time with an air conpressor and valve spring comoressor, otherwise you will keep burning oil at the same pace.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 3:06AM
Yeah its in storage right now. So i can replace those without pulling the head off?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 5:27AM
Yes. One cylinder at a time. Pistons at the top on compression stroke. Take rocker arms off and put them aside and labeled. Pull plug, attach compressor fitting, keep the pressure on while you remove valve spring retainer and spring, clean remnants of old seal, slide new seal on the stem, put spring and retainer back on, install rocker arm. Rinse and repeat for each cylinder. Make sure you have pistons at tdc on compression stroke. It is easier to do them following the firing order so tou don't have to do too much cranking at the damper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 5:29AM
Don't think too much about how far down to put the new seal. They will slide to correct location once they cycle through the 4 strokes when the engine turns over.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 5:45AM
Ok. Thank you for the step by step process. I really do appriciate it. Also what kind of new valve stem seals would you recomend? I was reading about it earlier and people go back and forth about umbrella seals and other ones that have a metal spring piece in them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 5:47AM
that's a blocked artery, death is imminent w/o intervention!
72 GT Ute

Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 8:03AM
Yeah im glad i noticed that when i did

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 8:06AM
I doubt it matters but someone will chime in with what they like.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 10:14AM
Be aware, if the valve seats/faces are past their prime, the valves may drop when you go to change the seals. If so, don't panic. just pull the heads and replace the seals on the bench.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 10:29AM
If they drop, they will only rest on the top of the piston. As long as they are at tdc. Like I said, do one at a time and use a light or a screwdriver to feel the piston top before you remove the spring.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 1:48AM
I will keep that in mind. Im going to have to try to see if i can find a battery powered air compressor since my car is in a storeage unit there isnt a power source in there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 4:45AM
there's another trick that does not involve air pressure or electrical power ...

nylon rope fed into the spark plug hole and bring the piston up to hold the valves in place

=======================

on that note we kinda need to have a talk about 351C stock valves,

the heads separate and leave this type of damage.  here's a little bit of good reading,

https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/sticky-3-351c-basics-and-performance-tuning

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-March-2019 at 4:45AM
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 5:29AM
another thing that should be noted if you have the earlier 4v style heads with the 2.19 intake valve. No one seems to make a direct replacement intake for them, they all want to sell you a big block chevy valve that is not the proper length. I guess this isn't a huge deal if you have an adjustable valve train but if you want to remain stock and just bolt down and go, whats to do? Love to hear what others have done in regards to this problem. I imagine no matter how slight this difference is, even with adjustable rockers this must throw the vale train geometry out a little bit. suggestions????????????????????????????

Edited by MrSmog - 28-March-2019 at 5:30AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 5:41AM
Not sure I would snake a rope into a cylinder to hold the vavles. If it knotted up it would suck to get out.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 5:45AM
Intresting about the nylon rope. By the look of that picture i really hope my car doesnt have that damage. I will have to read through that info tonight when i get out of work. Oh and my car is a 351c 2v. I wanted to tackle all of this when i was ready to pull the motor and do a rebuild but i havent been able to start buying the house i have been intrested in yet. Has 2 garages there, maybe a couple more months, but yeah thats why my car is in a storage unit at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 5:56AM
I think you would know if you dropped a valve. They make as much noise as throwing a rod through the side of the block doing 80 in an f-350 on the highway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 5:58AM
Just fewer parts and less oil on the road.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 6:28AM
nylon rope = old school side of the road / behind the barn shadetree method from the beginning of time

i'm not saying it already did, but yeah you'll know when it happens Shocked

not if, when Confused

i have the dirty T shirt and smashed spark plug that comes with membership to the club

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-March-2019 at 6:29AM
72 GT Ute

Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 2:30AM
I had a chance to read through that info on that pantera.infopop thank you for that. Lots of good information in there too. Hopfully i will be able to start getting these valve stem seals replaced soon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 5:15AM
here's another article By George. get it, By George LOL

https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/cobra-jet-unleashing-the-performance-capabilities-of-351-cleveland-engines-with-open-chamber-4v-heads-q-code

http://351c.net/board/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F2193-g-pence-351-cleveland-cylinder-head-a-deliberate-design-1-24-12%2F&fbclid=IwAR1Zcq06qYV0Ad0Jlt-Z_LA4qI4mf-o0MCYpHjXyttMGvPjr6AzuuGDzUas
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply