The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351M/400 swap to 351W

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351M/400 swap to 351W
    Posted: 15-March-2019 at 10:29AM
Hi,

I'm pulling the 351M/400 from my 1976 Gran Torino and installing a new 351W crate engine.

Does anyone know if any of the front accessory brackets will transfer over from the Midland to the Windsor? I know Midland and Cleveland blocks are similar enough. I'm realizing that these brackets are hard to find new or used and people have suggested trying to see what fits and what doesn't.

So if anyone has any experience on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am going for stock V-belt setup and not spending $1K plus for a serpentine conversion from March Performance or other.

Also, I am told that since the Windsor block was available for the 74-76 Gran Torino, that I would just need different engine mounts and no modifications to the frame are necessary. Can anyone confirm? I already know I will need to get another C6 transmission, as the bell housing was different between the Midland/Cleveland and the Windsor.

Thanks in advance!

--Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 11:44AM
No brackets will swap.
Best bet is to find a car with 351W and get EVERYTHING off the same engine.
I say EVERYTHING because these are several different bracket schemes for the 351W, and mix-and-match is a crapshoot.
your alternator should work, as well as the P/S pump (after changing the brackets)
Engine mounts are different. Torino doesn't use a frame bracket, the mount saddles the frame itself. The mounts have a "Left" and a "Right" part #
If you get the mounts on the wrong side of the block, it won't line up.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 2:15PM
If you wanted to go with a budget serpentine setup the 351w was used in F series pickups and E series vans until 1996. And Google says SUV''s until 2001.
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2019 at 9:06AM
You'd be better off going AOD for a trans, a small-block C6 is rare, parts are expensive, it has a very high HP loss through the trans(something like 70 HP IIRC), which is ok with the torque of the M series, but the Windsors aren't quite at their level.  the AOD can be built to handle the horsepower and torque, you'll get better mileage, and parts are a lot more available.  Something to think about.

Ideally, finding a mid to late '80s Crown Victoria with the 351w/AOD would solve your engine dress and trans issues in one shot.  Most were fuel injected, but didn't have the roller cam setup. This means you can use a regular distributor(as opposed to the hardened gear you'd need with the roller cam), and bolting on a 4v intake is easy.  Later ones did also have the serpentine belt setup

Hope I haven't muddied the water too bad! LOL Good Luck!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 10:31AM
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I am not wanting to go with any form of serpentine setup. I am keeping the engine and transmission stock, thus I am going for stock V-belt look. I have contacted Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix (specialize in older car salvage), they are working on pulling an entire setup from one car (brackets, pulley's, hardware, etc) and shipping it to me.

I seriously thought about getting new AOD transmission, but I am getting a really good deal on a rebuilt C6 transmission with less than 3K miles and I cannot pass it up. Since this car is going to be a weekend cruiser, I am not overly worried about fuel efficiency (although I am to a small extent).

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Regards,
Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 10:37AM
I would ask them to provide some pics of the brackets as they are before disassemble. Makes it a little easier to put together correctly the first or second time.
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 10:40AM
Absolutely, will do. Thank you!
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 12:47PM
You might be able to get the motor mounts new from a parts store, but there seems to be some issues with 351 motor mounts for Torinos.  I know some buys were trying some new ones for 351C's and they didn't all work or fit correctly.  So, just be warned you may have to try several different brands to find one that fits correctly. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 1:40PM
302, 351w, and 351c all use the same mounts.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 2:32PM
mike, check out CFV racing i have their windsor v belt pulleys on mine and they are nice! andy went with their serpentine set up on his cleveland and was extremely happy with them too. they also make a nice billet bracket and cover for the Thomson coffee can p/s resivior Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 18-March-2019 at 5:31PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2019 at 1:38PM
do you have the power steering bracket spacer (the round aluminum one) a timing pointer to sell? pm if you want?
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Boss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2020 at 9:40AM
imo, doing a 351W stroker eng swap today is one of the BEST ideas for big torinos

doing a big 451-461 ci W block stroker is not a problem today... https://www.corral.net/threads/351-maxx-block-9-5-9-750-td.2479966/
 Post Reply Post Reply