The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Autosound Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Autosound Speakers
    Posted: 18-March-2019 at 5:06PM
I'm purchasing USA-630 radio from Custom Autosound, to go for a stock look in my 76 Gran Torino (S&H).

Anyone have any experience with their radios and speakers? I care a little about sound quality, but more so about fitment and having to do as little modification to the original speaker placements as possible.

Thanks!
Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2019 at 5:28PM
i've never heard anything bad about them i do know that their radios have modern features like preamp outputs and mp3 inputs available yet keep a period correct look to the radio Wink
 BTW mike i did round up a few more emblems over the weekend and tonight...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 12:58AM
There are two major manufacturers for modern, but vintage looking head units, to fit our cars.

One is Custom Autosound.  The other is Retrosound.

When I did my research a few years ago for my '76 Montego, Custom Autosound had a high number of poor reviews.  I can't speak from experience, only what I read.  Here's a link on Amazon.  See for yourself.

EDIT.  Sorry, I have no idea why the link doesn't work.  It's correct.  You can copy/paste it to a new window, and it works fine.

I went with Retrosound.  It's been a great head unit.

Either way, the new head units will not connect to your factory harness.  You'll have to run new wires to factory speakers, unless you splice into the existing harness.  Do you have factory speakers in your door panels?

I used aftermarket speakers in my kick panels, since I didn't have speakers in my door panels.  I didn't want to cut them.  So, I can't speak to replacing original speakers.  Something to keep in mind, kick panels are easy to find and replace.  You could keep a spare pair of uncut kick panels.  And cut a different pair for speakers.  That's what I did.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 19-March-2019 at 1:02AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 6:17AM
Where can I find kick panels with cut-outs for speakers? My current door panels had holes cut for speakers, so I need to replace the door panels and I will not mount speakers to the doors.

Aside from kick panels, I plan to use replacements for 3 factory speakers - one in the center of dashboard and two in rear panel behind rear bench seats.

Please let me know what part numbers for speakers (kick panels) that you used, thanks!

--Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 1:28PM
none of the factory kick panels had speakers
i cut mine and put speakers in them
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 11:22PM
What John said.   You have to cut holes in some original kick panels.  That's why I mentioned having an extra pair, in case originality is a concern.  I used some after market 5.25" or 6.5" speakers, I can't remember which.  Pay attention to the back side clearance of the speakers.  Some have huge magnets.  There's not a lot of room behind the kick panels.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 2:53AM
I ordered a new Custom USA-230 stereo head unit and it fit great and like others have said it has inputs for additional amplifiers, which are not absolutely necessary, but I recommend adding one. Be warned though the head unit itself does not have enough power to push the 4 speakers I installed in my wagon. 

I added an amplifier for the 4 speakers (two 5 1/4 inch 3 way round speakers for the doors and two 6 x 9 3 way speakers in the rear cargo area side panels in the back. I also added a single self powered subwoofer under the passenger seat, which made a big difference. It's not rattling the car apart, but it does sound great! I also ran all new speaker wire as well. 

I went with below Kenwood components: 

Kenwood 2404S Amplifier

Highlights:
· 4-channel car amplifier
· 40 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (60 watts x 4 at 2 ohms)
· 130 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
· CEA-2006 compliant
· switchable high-pass filter (80 Hz, 12 dB per octave) on front (A ch) channels
· variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 18 dB per octave) on rear (B ch) channels
· MOSFET power supply
· preamp and speaker-level inputs
· requires 10-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
· fuse rating: 30A x 1
· 13-13/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 8-1/2"D
· warranty: 1 year

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Subwoofer

Highlights:
· compact powered subwoofer
· aluminum enclosure with 8-1/4" x 5-1/8" sub
· built-in amplifier: 75 watts RMS power (150 watts maximum)
· wired remote for control over: 
volume level
variable low-pass crossover (50-125 Hz)
selectable phase control (0°, 180°)
· power/ground wiring harness
· preamp- (RCA) and speaker-level inputs
· frequency response: 35-125 Hz
· dimensions: 11"W x 2-3/4"H x 7-1/2"D
· warranty: 1 year

I am very happy with the set up I have. I can roll the windows down and cruise around town and listen to tunes all day long. 

Good luck! 

Edited by gpd294 - 20-March-2019 at 3:02AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 5:34PM
Great info, thanks everyone!

--Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 1:29PM
Nice!

I was in the upstairs garage the other day rummaging around by the '76, took a quick glance inside it and noticed the stereo setup I installed in it in 1981. Sanyo Bi-amp head unit, Jetsound amp/eq for the rear speakers, Pioneer passive eq with separate amp for the fronts. Pioneer 3 way front speakers, Crutchfield-ordered 6 x 9 3 ways for the rear. About 15-20 years ago, I installed a battery in the old car and figured I'd see if the stereo still played. Turned the key, twisted the volume knob and Billy Squier's My Kind Of Lover started playing in the old Sanyo. I was, like, "Cool!" and hit the power button for both amps, cranked the volume and there was a moment of '80's bliss before a large boom, followed by some dust signaled the end of the speakers. Good times, and it still sits that way.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply