The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuse blowing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuse blowing
    Posted: 25-March-2019 at 6:19AM
'73 Ranchero. The back up fuse keeps blowing as soon as ignition is turned on. Any ideas? We know there is a short to ground but cannot locate it. Disconnected back up switch and plug to ignition switch. The ac terminal on fuse box shows short to ground which is fused through the back up fuse. Disconnected the plugs on on firewall and pulled fuse box, no signs of rust or poor connections. What else is powered through this terminal? The wiring diagram does not show the fuse box. Thanks!
Be a part of the solution not part of the problem.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2019 at 2:22PM
ok follow the wiring for those circuits that you mentioned, with the stuff disconnected and it still blows would likely indicate a short to ground as you mentioned so more than likely it's a pinched or rubbed through spot along the wiring to them somewhere...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2019 at 3:52PM
I had a similar issue in my '76 Gran Torino many years ago....it was a worn wire in the steering column. A piece of shrink tubing and electrical tape solved that.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 12:58AM
There is supposed to be a 15 amp fuse in there. The backup lamp switch fuse also feeds the windshield washer switch and the feed for the accessories.

Edited by dave302 - 26-March-2019 at 10:29PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 1:30AM
I have listed below what the other fuses are connected to.
fuse 1 empty
fuse 2 heater
fuse 3 air condition (circuit breaker)
fuse 4 empty
fuse 5 instrument panel & controls illumination lamps

Edited by dave302 - 26-March-2019 at 1:32AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 1:30AM
fuse 6 courtesy lamps
fuse 7 cigar lighter
fuse 8 emergency flasher and stop lamp switch
fuse 9 backup light switch, windshield washer switch and accessory feed
fuse 10 radio
fuse 11 emission control system, warning lamps and seat belt warning system

Edited by dave302 - 26-March-2019 at 10:28PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 6:38AM
So if I follow you, when you've disconnected the back-up switch and the ignition switch, you're still getting the short to ground?  What wiring diagram are you using.  We have one here on the website:

This may also help: 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
My Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 8:15AM
Yes that's the diagram we are using. All wiring appears to be good. What's weird is take the fuse out for back up lights but wipers and washers still work, so power to those is before the fuse? As the wiper motor has a built in circuit breaker.  Fuse blows right away when turn on ignition, car is not in reverse so it's not the back up circuit. 
Be a part of the solution not part of the problem.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 10:37PM
Originally posted by My Ranchero My Ranchero wrote:

What's weird is take the fuse out for back up lights but wipers and washers still work, so power to those is before the fuse? As the wiper motor has a built in circuit breaker.
I misunderstood the wiring information, I meant to say that the backup lamp switch fuse is also connected to the windshield washer switch. It is not connected to the windshield wiper motor.

The windshield washer switch and the windshield wiper motor are probably powered on two different/separate circuits.

Edited by dave302 - 26-March-2019 at 10:50PM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 10:22AM
washer is a separate motor in the washer reservoir.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 11:23AM
The wiper motor is on a separate circuit with a circuit breaker.  I have the factory wiring diagram for 1972, and it shows that the seat belt warning switch, light and the parking brake light are on that circuit too.  It also shows it tied into the rear window defogger switch.  Maybe check the wiring over on that stuff.  It shows two wires for the circuit, white/purple and black purple.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 12:09PM
ok from what you're describing, when you turn the key on it blows that fuse? ok one side will be the unfused power supply, the other side will be the fused side going to what ever accessory. if the short were in the power supply side it wound burn the wire as it's direct unfused power! but blowing that fuse tells me it in the other side going to whatever... look on the back side of the fuse box see which side is supply it will usually have a buss bar connecting several other fuse terminals. look at the opposite side of that fuse find the wire connected there, follow that wire away from the fuse box until you find a bad spot or something that's not right ! like a burnt or disfigured section of the wire coating or where a burnt wire melted into that wire from something else??? 

Edited by californiajohnny - 02-May-2019 at 3:02PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2019 at 8:28AM
BACK UP LIGHT  WIRES & REAR BRAKE LIGHT WIRES - RUN UNDER YOUR FEET ON DRIVERS SIDE , THEN MAKE A TURN AND ARE IN THE REAR QUARTER PANEL JUST BEHIND THE THE DRIVERS DOOR , U NEED TO PULL UP THE CARPET-TO ACCESS THE WIRING HARNESS TO SEE IF YOU CAN DETERMINE IF AS SAID IN COLUMN OR REAR SECTION OF THE HARNESS  ,wires run under a metal panel ,under carpet

just is that i had a simliar problem on my 72 Ranchero and it was in that area   

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2019 at 9:33AM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

I had a similar issue in my '76 Gran Torino many years ago....it was a worn wire in the steering column. A piece of shrink tubing and electrical tape solved that.

The only way we found it was when the mechanic was on his back under the dash, he just happened to see the tiny arc up in the column. Dumb luck to spot that.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2019 at 10:19AM
BLACK & PINK reverse circuit wires ,
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 9:51AM
wiring under carpet/but normally under metal chase
 Post Reply Post Reply