The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

installing trans crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing trans crossmember
    Posted: 30-March-2019 at 2:21PM
I am putting my tranny back in (73 torino 429 c6) and the shop manual says to attach the trans mount to the crossmember and then install to the tranny.  In doing it this way there doesn't seem to be enough room between the crossmember and the tranny to get a wrench or socket in to tighten the bolts to the tranny.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 3:29PM
with the tranny bolted to the block... do you have enough room to get the cross member up on top of the frame pads with the mount bolted to the tranny first then jack the tranny up until it hits the tunnel ...is there enough room to get the cross member up in there clearing the mount studs??? i think that's how i've done it....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 3:44PM
There is a little room left above the tranny, I will try jacking it up more and see if that gives me enough clearance with it bolted to the tranny first.  I know it will probably be a tight fit but hopefully that will work, appreciate the response John  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 4:50PM
 if not plan "B" would be put the crossmember up in there with the mount sitting in the holes and lift the mount up by hand and start the bolts in the tranny and tighten with a box end wrench then double wrench method for torque Wink then lower it down on the cross member, install the nuts on the bottom... i've done things like that before PITA but....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 6:26PM
We used to just rotate the crossmember to get it on the frame after the trans and mount were installed already. (Aamco 1984-8)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 5:42AM
When I installed mine, I bolted the mount to the transmission first.  Then I used a floor jack to lift the transmission as high as it'd go and installed the cross member and dropped the transmission.  I had no clearance issues doing this way.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 9:30AM
OK, got it in, as suggested raised the back of the tranny as high as possible and then rotated pass side forward and drivers side to the rear (read that from an earlier post by TV2M80). Actually went back in pretty smoothly. Thanks to all for the help. - dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply