The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torino Gas Tank Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino Gas Tank Removal
    Posted: 10-April-2019 at 1:08PM
I am getting ready to remove the gas tank from my 1976 Gran Torino. Any tips from anyone who has removed one from this era Torino/Gran Torino?

I am going to siphon out the gas this weekend. Then I'm assuming remove the lines and un-bolt the two straps holding the tank in place? Please let me know if I am missing a step or if there is anything else needing to be done before removing the tank. Thanks!

--Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 1:12PM
Put a jack under it to hold it up while you are unbolting it. disconnect fuel and vapor lines, sender wiring, and filler neck. Unbolt the straps, lower the tank. Spill leftover gas on yourself. Drink a beer or your beverage of choice to celebrate a job well done.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 1:18PM
I saw some YouTube videos, do I need to purchase any special tools to remove the fuel lines from the tank? I am going to be careful, but not too concerned about damaging the lines as they are going to be replaced regardless.

Also, is there a part number for a replacement filler tube that I can mount from the fuel filler going into the tank?
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 2:06PM
no special tools probably just pliars to remove the pinch clamps on the hoses Wink the filler neck seal is an E1 ?.... part # i'd have to dig through my receipts for the #... it's posted on here somewhere???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 2:57PM
just cut the hoses they need replacing anyway,

and make sure you get PTFE lined hose for everything.

have a new filler tube grommet and vent grommet ready too.
72 GT Ute

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 1:05AM
Yeah, put a block of wood or square of plywood between the Jack and the tank to support it....Youdon't want to put a hole in it now. Remove the two strap retaining nuts/bolts. They may be rusted, so be ready to work a wrench over the top to anchor the nut so it doesn't spin as soon as the tension is off. You may need to cut the bolts, and worst case cut the straps. The only things you have to do are:
Two bolts for the straps
Two straps
Filler
Sender

All straight forward and easy. (Well...the two bolts might not be--)

If you need to see anything, you know where I'm at----

Dave F
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 5:44AM
the bolts are just standard carriage bolts IIRC, available at any home / hardware

zip through them with a cut-off wheel before you open any lines

you're going to need this .... a lot

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply