The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 11-April-2019 at 3:50PM
   A great big "Hello!" from Arizona to all of the people on the GTS Forum. I'm glad I found this forum. I'm looking forward to participating in different ways.
   My name is Tom and I've been a Ford fanatic since high school (38 years ago now! YIKES!) when I had a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 hardtop with a 390-4V/4 spd. It was a lot of fun, especially after I put "289" emblems on it.
   I started working at a Ford dealer in the parts department after high school. I spent nearly 30 years at different Ford dealers and have a lot of knowledge about parts, cataloging, part numbers, engineering numbers, etc. I have all of the parts books, OSI catalogs, and more. Unfortunately, all of this is currently in storage and not accessible. I'd be happy to offer information to fellow forum members if I can, and once I retrieve all of my reference material, I'll be happy to assist members with part numbers, interchanges, superceded numbers, etc. 
   I'm currently semi-retired and work part-time, so I have time to again play with a car. 
   Since my first Fairlane, I've had over 50 vintage cars (all Ford products) ranging from an original flathead V-8 car, a few Ford-powered street rods, a lead sled '50 Club Coupe, many muscle cars, a few Lincoln Marks, etc. While I've enjoyed each of them for various reasons, I miss not having a collector car. 
   I've always liked the Gran Torino Sport models, so I'll network through this forum and diligently search  on-line for the perfect car - a 351 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, sport gauges, etc. Since this will likely be a car I'll keep the rest of my life, I want to find just the right one.
   I just found a beautiful '73 GTS that will be crossing the auction block at Mecum's Indy event next month. This car is exactly what I'd like to find. It's beautifully restored, highly optioned, and well- documented. Here's a link...

I'd appreciate any comments about this car. Has anyone seen it in person? Do you know who owns it? What do you guys think it'll sell for? Do you know of any similar cars for sale?
   I really want to find a car that's mostly finished. It's too time-consuming and expenve to completely restore a car (especially to this level) nowadays. 
   I'd also strongly consider a nice '70-1 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler. Maybe something else? What have you got or know about?
   Anyway, I'm excited to be here and to share my enthusiasm for these beautiful cars from an era we'll never see again. I always loved the Fords and Mercs from the 1970s and it's good to see that people are finally recognizing how truly unique this era was/is. 
   Thanks in advance for helping me in my quest to locate my dream car. 
TorinoTom

Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 4:05PM
That looks like a nice ride.
Would like to have seen the VIN and the Door Jamb sticker.
Looks like they painted all the parts separate as the doors don't quite match the front fenders that don't match the body. NOT BAD, just off a LITTLE.

But other than that It looks good. Would like to read the story and see the pics of the restore. We have seen far too many that LOOK good but are hiding hideous repairs. again, not saying it was just saying before I dropped coin on it I would want to see some pictures of it through the restoration.
Someone is going to lose their ass on that one!! I mean they spent $40-60k restoring it and be lucky to pull $25,000.
IF it is clean and done right, it is worth the high end of $20k.
seen some very well done and documented restorations go for less.
If you buy it just know you are doing it for the love of it not for the profit possibility. They just aren't bringing that money.
$30k and under is worth it, the closer to 20 the better

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 6:03PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2019 at 12:22AM
Welcome!  And good luck with your search!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2019 at 12:42AM
Welcome to the forum!  I have upgraded you to a "New Member" so you have full forum access now and can post anywhere.  It sounds like you are bringing a lot of knowledge and resources to the forum.

As for that particular '73 GTS, it has been discussed a little over here:

Based on the description, it shows it is painted Ivory Moondust, which is a Lincoln colour that was not available on the '73 Torino.  It's possible that it's a mistake and the car is actually Icy Glow, 4C, it's hard to tell from the photos.

Lincoln Paint:

Torino Paint:

Other than that it appears pretty decent from the photos.  A Marti report and a full inspection would definitely be required, because as Carl says there are a lot of cars that look good, but are hiding lots underneath.  The Q-code 4-speed cars are the most valuable GTS's and a '72 will probably sell for a bit more than a '73.  From the prices we've seen around here, really nice ones are in the 20-30K range, with 4-speed cars commanding the highest prices.  There have been very few cars that I know of that sold for more than 30K.

Stick around here and hopefully you'll find your GTS.  Some members post ads in the classified sections of cars they come across online.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply