The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970 GT lost brake fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrincha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 GT lost brake fluid
    Posted: 21-April-2019 at 8:23AM
After the winter break, it turns out my GT had lost most of its brake fluid. Pedal action was really lousy. After bleeding the air, looking at all four wheels with tyres off, and refilling the master cylinder, pedal action returned to normal. We followed the brake hoses (admittedly without taking everything apart) and they looked good.

However, after a short test with full brakes on, forward and reverse - which worked good -, the master cylinder seemed to have leaked again. See photo.

Would I be correct in assuming that the gasket in the cylinder could be a cause for this?

--
Christian
1970 Torino GT 302
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:24AM
pull the rear brake drums and look at the cylinder at the top if it's wet the wheel cylinder is leaking also remove the 2 nuts holding the master cylinder to the booster pull it forward some, see if it's wet in the end of the booster? if so master is leaking...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
garrincha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrincha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 4:58AM
Thanks for the pointers John!

With the wheels off, we didn't actually pull the rear brake drums (will need to do that on another weekend) but in any case noted absolutely zero wetness anywhere near the drum. Sufficient or insufficient visual evidence...?

I ordered a replacement gasket just in case. But will make sure to look at the cylinder again!
--
Christian
1970 Torino GT 302
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 12:00PM
i believe you said you checked along the entire brake lines? no wet spots under the car? i've seen steel hard lines rust a pin hole in them, but sounds like it's leaking into the booster...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 3:04PM
Does the brake line run under the car the whole way to the rear? I ask because my wife had a Mercury Zephyr and the brake line ran thru the interior in the back seat area. I know this because the car was losing fluid, and the leak was in the section under the back seat. Took forever to find.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 6:19AM
Originally posted by garrincha garrincha wrote:

Thanks for the pointers John!

With the wheels off, we didn't actually pull the rear brake drums (will need to do that on another weekend) but in any case noted absolutely zero wetness anywhere near the drum. Sufficient or insufficient visual evidence...?

I ordered a replacement gasket just in case. But will make sure to look at the cylinder again!

The wheel cylinders may not be leaking much, so it's best to pull the drums,and inspect them closely (pull back the rubber dust boot to look for seepage). Regardless, fluid should not be coming out of the top of the master cylinder when the lid is on, so you might have a bad seal on the reservoir like you suspect.

When my master cylinder went, it was leaking at the back and into the booster.  So there was no signs of leaking on the outside. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply