The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherb10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C numbers
    Posted: 01-May-2019 at 12:13PM
Got a buddy trying to sell a 351 C.  Its pretty crusty, so it definitely needs rebuilt. I'm trying to figure out if their is a way to tell what it came out of? What numbers or codes should I look for and where would they be on the block and heads? Thanks for the help.

John 
22 Jaguar F-Type R
18 Jaguar F-Pace
17 F250 crew cab
06 Five Hundred
03 F150 Super Crew
71 Monte Carlo SS clone
56 Pontiac Star Chief
DaleR09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2019 at 4:53AM
There will be a set of stamped numbers/letters on the block itself, at the rear of the left (drivers side), just below the head. It will tell you the year, plant, and sequence number of the vehicle it came from. Ford Stamping on Engine Block
'72 Ranchero GT Q code (Sold)
'63 F100 Unibody CV swap
'03 Ranger 4X4 Stepside
'03 F350
'14 Fusion AWD Titanium
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2019 at 6:47AM
not all blocks got stamped, but if it is ...

as far as what it came out of all you can do is narrow it down to what Ford was building in that plant at the time. there may be an engine assy date hand stamped into the front face of the block near the timing cover dowel pin, add a couple weeks to maybe a month & 1/2 to that date for vehicle build date.

if by some miracle you can match the sequence number to a car then you got it.

the block casting code and cast date are the ones a buyer will want to know,

near the starter / oil pan rail something like D2AE-CA and 2F13

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-May-2019 at 5:56AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2019 at 12:13PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

if by some miracle you can match the sequence number to a car then you got it.

My engine did match the car, but the stamped number was machined off during the rebuild. Cry  Oh well, I don't plan to sell anyway.

There is some casting info on the Bubba's page too, mostly 400 and 351M, but some of it still applies to 351C.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2019 at 5:58AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

.... the stamped number was machined off during the rebuild. Cry 

the back of the block was faced?

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2019 at 6:32AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

the back of the block was faced?

I guess it must have been, I didn't ask for it. I know the block was decked, maybe they just cleaned up the back edge too?  Tim just did the standard machining he does on all engines he builds.  Those numbers weren't stamped very deep, so it wouldn't take much to get rid of them.

And FWIW, it does appear to be the same block.  It has all the same casting numbers and date codes which I documented before it left.  I also specifically told Tim i wanted the original block and heads as they were original to the car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2019 at 7:08AM
kind of a mute point if you remove the numbers though ...

could also explain the small amount of converter clearance you had to deal with?

reminds me of a Gas Monkey episode where they had Thomas Weeks assemble a survivor Vette motor

he used hardware store bolts, painted it bright puke orange and the beard had to undo it all

(voice shouting from the distance) Where the Censored are my tins!

got that thing running yet?

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply