The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 72 Torino Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 72 Torino Project
    Posted: 14-May-2019 at 12:15PM
I have been on this site for a little over a year. Mostly reading and learning. Great Stuff!

My Torino spent its entire life in Redlands California. She has had 2 PO's. They both lived in Redlands. The 2nd PO stopped driving the car approximately 7-8 years ago. The car sat outside for those years. The California sun did a number on the paint and the interior. The car wasn't running when I had it shipped to Louisville, KY.

Since it arrived here I have gotten it running out of a can and been surveying everything in an effort to accurately determine what needs to done and what I would like to do. I am starting on the brakes, brake and fuel lines next.

Karl
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2019 at 6:56PM
wow that's nice! even with faded off paint
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 1:43AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

wow that's nice! even with faded off paint

I agree, very clean car. I'm in knox county ky here, if you ever want to get together for a cruise let me know.
KarlB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 10:19AM
Mr Smog

Love the cruise offer. It will be awhile before I get going. Have you found a junk yard with 72 Torino's.
I expect I am going to need some parts to get it the way I want.

Thx 
 Karl
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 2:01PM
Nice Torino Karl, very slick looking even with the faded paint.  The stance is just right! Thumbs Up And a Belated Welcome to you as well!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
newfordguy View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newfordguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 9:12AM
nice I just bot a 68 torino 428 not stock have tons of parts fenders doors taillights for couger torino chrome    shaker hood scoop complete toploader 4 speed with bell housing linkage shift lever 9 inch rear end complete pedal assembly to make automatic into 4 speed complete kit put power steering together boxes of stuff I will put pic up later thank you
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 10:47AM
beautiful car Karl.  that thing looks mean!  

also...  alex lives in louisville as well...  (antlerfiend), he can help you work on your car!!
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
KarlB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 10:50AM
Newfordguy

Thanks. I am still surveying the car. I think there a few parts missing, some that need to be replaced and a few up grades to be completed.

Looking forward to the pics

Karl
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 12:19PM
The car looks awesome as it is. I wouldn't change a thing.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 1:11PM
 Nice ride. Welcome. 

More pics please.πŸ‘πŸ˜†
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 4:54AM
Originally posted by KarlB KarlB wrote:

Mr Smog

Love the cruise offer. It will be awhile before I get going. Have you found a junk yard with 72 Torino's.
I expect I am going to need some parts to get it the way I want.

Thx 
 Karl

There is a yard close to me that has a LOT of old cars but I haven't had a chance to walk around in it yet and I hear they don't sell much off the older stuff. more of a old car collection for the family from what i gather but i did sell a couple guns to the guy this past winter and he was fine with me walkin around when the weather was nicer. Most of the old cars in backyards down here have either been crushed or they are rotted junk that are worth millions to the owners. I have a few torinos, all 73's and might have some stuff i can part with. also pickin up a 73 t bird here in the next day or so that looks to have a lot of good parts on it. as far as the cruise goes, can always ride shotgun in mine, might keep you motivated to dig into yours when you get aggravated.
KarlB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 10:47AM
Mr Smog

Sounds excellent. I really enjoy walking around junkyards full of old cars.I think I am going to have some free time next month.

Karl
KarlB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 11:02AM
Hi John

More pics. It is a 10 footer. Thanks for the interest. Karl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 11:54AM
Nice to find a car that is worth fixing. 

I made a list of everything I could find that was obvious and it was discouraging. Started when I rolled it off of the trailer but pulled it apart in a few hours the next weekend. My car was definitely flipped and I paid way too much but after whittling away at the list, I realized that my love for these cars and once forgotten passion for fixing mechanical things is hard to put a price on.

If I can buy the 72 q code I will have a nice project thread. Not to mention swapping wheels to give my car the look I wanted. 

The shoulder surgery is a few days old and finally starting to give me hope again. Sleep would be nice too. Lol.

Looking forward to your project thread, I love them. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 5:29PM
what am i seeing here? looks like someone tried to weld the window trim???

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 6:30PM
 Sure looks like it. I have seen trim spot welded but that looks freestyle.  Maybe there is a backer behind it? It may slide together. I am honestly guessing here and without manuals or asvice from the board, an eperiment may destroy the piece. 
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 12:13AM
 Looks like the body metal underneath the lower trim piece rotted away leaving no support for the trim so they welded it to the side piece. Veeeerrry interesting ......but stupid!  (Laugh in reference )  Smile
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 1:34AM
well, at least it's something You can take apart with a dremel or other very smal grinder.......at least they did that rather than sink a screw through it------

Edited by hogfiddles - 18-May-2019 at 12:49PM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code β€œQ-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 4:25AM
i have trim if you need it!?

x2 on the screwAngry i've seen that stupid crap done so many times, and with a wood screw no less Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
KarlB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 12:08PM
Hi everyone

Just looked at the spot on the rear window. It could be a tiny weld. The dark spots on the body are rust. It seems solid when you push on it.

Since the car needs a new headliner that window will be coming out.Then we will know for sure what is going on. I may take you up on the trim piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 12:20PM
Take plenty of pics. πŸ˜‰
 Post Reply Post Reply