The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a sleeping engine (9yrs.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting a sleeping engine (9yrs.)
    Posted: 21-May-2019 at 4:23PM
 My next potential vehicle has been garaged for many years and has not been started in the last 9. Original owner had run it every year up until then when work hours ate up his free time and he just covered it. 

I have seen threads on starting an engine after a long slumber. While oiling the cylinders is a good idea, even in an engine with light pitina on the cylinder walls, you will end up cracking rings trying to rotate the crankshaft with a breaker bar and a socket/extension on the damper bolt.

Even if you were to get it nice and free,  there is still rust on top of the ring in between the piston and cylinder wall. 

I can't see the combustion/reciprocation action of the engine pushing all the junk out of the combustion chamber. I would be rigging up a pump to prime the engine's oiling system via the plug next to the fuel pump or the rear of the block. Is it inevitable that I will be tearing the engine apart after a short pwriod of time? This engine still has the cross hatch pattern from honing for the whole length of the bore. Owner says trans and engine rebuilt at same time and only have been broken in before he parked it. 

Have any of you woken up an engine and run it for years without issue? I already know the brakes need a new line somewhere, I popped something when I applied the brake.  Exhaust will need work. Gas tank and lines, same deal. Interior plastic is mint but seats and sport armrests need to be covered/replaced. 
  My plan, if I can get it cheap enough, is to put new tires on the Keystone classics and swap out the tires and wheels on my car. It is a frame off restoration in my mind. 

Thoughts on this please, thanks.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2019 at 7:01PM
if it's not stuck it should fire ok, you could squirt some atf in the cylinders crank it over by hand to work in the fluid before you fire it Wink i've started many sitting engines without issue, as long as water didn't sit in the cylinders Wink
 hell i fired up all the engines in those parts torinos and the 289 in my mustang all sat for ??? 5-10 years??? no smoking or knocking all ran well Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 2:18PM
Just because the engine sat doesn't mean the rings are shot.
We recently re-used a Pontiac Iron Duke we built up in the 80s. Hadn't been started or even turned over for over 25 years. (Stuck it in a Chevette.) It runs great, and doesn't burn oil. Crossflow head engine built for a Monza dirt track car, run one or two years and pulled and left on a stand.
Another guy used an Oldsmobile engine that sat on the floor at my buddy's barn since the mid 90s.
Ran fine, but was completely gutless. Turned out to be a 260... All the weight, none of the power. 2 bbl carb should have been a clue.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply