The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 Ranchero fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Ranchero fuel tank
    Posted: 03-June-2019 at 5:29AM
Hi
I did this conversion last winter. I lost my pictures of the install but thought someone might be interested.
I ordered 2 new 71 Ranchero fuel tanks and had to return them because even though they said they were for a 71 they were both for a 72 up.
I searched everywhere and could not find one for the 71.
I took the measurements of my old tank and after comparing them with a ton of other Ford tanks I found that the 73-78 Ford F250-350 rear tank was real close.
Went ahead and ordered one and found as a bonus I had enough room to mount my in tank fuel pump in the right rear corner of the tank.
The only mods I had to do was to move the hanger bolts over to the right [looking at the rear from the front] a 1/2 inch on both sides so the straps would fit in the channels.
The other mod was to order a filler neck hose [18 inch] from filler neck supply.com. They are flexible and fit perfect with no rubbing or clearance issues.
A very easy install.
Here are some pictures.
Greg

Greg
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2019 at 11:56PM
Thanks Greg, this is great info!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2019 at 3:14AM
You are welcome.
Wish I still had the install pictures.
Greg
Greg
Jdhutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2021 at 4:11AM
Interestingly enough the straps on my 71 tank go from side to side instead of front to back as do the ribs accordingly.

First On Race Day
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2021 at 4:38AM
Thats strange.
I have 2 used tanks both off a 71 in my shop and the ribs both go from front to back.
One tank is from my 429 CJ and the other is from a 6 clyinder.
I am wondering why your tank and straps would be different.
What engine and driveline combo do you have?
Greg
Greg
Jdhutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2021 at 5:03PM
my car is a 302 C4 8" rear axle.  I'm not the only one. Here is a conversation on another Ranchero sight that show pictures as well.

First On Race Day
Jdhutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2021 at 5:09PM
I think there was also some discussion of why they would put side to side straps on and then have to put a wrap around strap attached to the bumper bracket but that's definitely what it has. The car is new to me so I had to go outside in my bare feet to look when I was reading the ranchero.us stuff because I had seen your post first and I assumed yours was the way it is but I guess not. 
First On Race Day
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2021 at 3:31AM
Well I guess I learn something new every day.
I went out to the shop and dug out both my old tanks and they had the ribs going front to back.
I didn't know they made side to side tanks.
Sorry my how to didn't help.
Greg
Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply