The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage to Pertronix Coil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage to Pertronix Coil
    Posted: 08-June-2019 at 12:51PM
SI My ignition was changed from points to Pertronix before I bought it.  I read that the old points had 6 volts to the coil, and the Pertonix needs 12.  Do I test this with the key off or on?  Do I test with the engine running?  Should there be a 12 V wire from the ignition, bypassing the resistor? 

The car runs, but I was watching a show that mentioned they were swapping points for Pertronix and had to run a wire.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 2:20PM
about 8 volts. the factory resister wire is from the ignition switch to the firewall IIRC, just replace it with a normal wire to get 12 volts
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 2:22PM
check the voltage at the coil with the key on positive terminal on the coil should be close to 12 volts if it reads 8 then you'll need to bypass that wire i have 11.8 at my HEI
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 2:32PM
Thanks John.  I assume if it has 8 it will still run, but could be better...?
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 3:05PM
possibly but may lag or cut out under heavy throttle??? i think the wire changes color from the resistor wire to the under hood wire...  i can look at a harness and see what color it is....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 3:09PM
what dash do you have Bill, factory tach?

also which Pertronix unit, I, II, or II ?

if standard cluster it'd easier to use the resisted coil supply to trigger a relay to supply battery voltage to the distributor but i'd talk to Pertronix tech before settling on a course of action, the original Pertronix I module is more delicate than the II and III

IIRC all versions of the Pertronix module should run fine using the resisted factory coil power supply, but again check with Pertronix
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 12:13PM
Like John said, with the resistor wire you'll have about 8 volts.  This can power a Pertronix 1 module, but the instructions say 12 volts is preferred.  Lots of people install them without bypassing the resistor wire and they still seem to run - most of the time.

You really have two options. First is to bypass the resistor wire.  This will work, but if you are using a stock coil, it probably should be powered by 8 volts for it to last.  So you'd still have to run the original resisted ignition wire to the coil.  And if you have a factory Tach, you need to run the coil with 8 volts for it to read correctly and not burn out.

The second option, and easier IMO, is to run a relay.  This is what I did when I ran a Pertronix I.  Just run the ignition wire to the coil as normal.  Then add a second wire under the positive terminal (just a ring loop) and use that to trigger the Relay.  Get a 12 volt supply from your ignition solenoid and use that as your power source for your Pertronix.  You'll also need to install a fuse inline too.  Connect this to the Pertronix.  That way you will have a full 12 volts to the Pertronix, 8 volts a the coil, and a factory Tach will work perfectly. 

I believe Pertronix sells a relay kit, but I just bought one from a parts store and wired it myself.  If you need or want a basic wiring diagram, I can draw one up for you. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 12:28PM
I would like to see your wiring diagram.  I like the idea of the relay. 
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 1:06PM
Originally posted by bdaugette bdaugette wrote:

I would like to see your wiring diagram.  I like the idea of the relay. 

Okay give me a few days and I make one up.  I don't have one handy at the moment.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 2:47PM
I have a factory tach, so I think I need the reduced voltage there, with the full 12 to the coil. I need to see which Pertronix I have.  It idles great, but not so great at higher rpms.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 12:06PM
I found a diagram online that I was able to make a few changes to.  It's pretty simple to wire up.  I just mounted the relay on my inner fender near the solenoid.  If you have any questions let me know.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 12:44PM
Looks pretty simple, but the 12V feed couldn’t come from that side of the solenoid, right?  Seems like it would be hot to the coil all the time? I will look online now that I know something is out there.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 2:01PM
yes it would be but with the relay open that power won't go anywhere, until the key is on to the coil that caused the relay to connect the 12v supply to the relay term. out to the pertronics mod Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 2:22PM

Looks pretty simple, but the 12V feed couldn’t come from that side of the solenoid, right?  Seems like it would be hot to the coil all the time? I will look online now that I know something is out there.

Like John said, this is correct.  The Relay is a basically a switch.  When your car ignition is turned out, power will be supplied to the coil (at the positive terminal). The new wire you run with ring terminal will then receive power, which will got to the relay and "switch it on".  This will turn on the other side, which will supply power to the ignition module.  Of course this all takes a split second.

I had Photoshop and modify an existing diagram. This is exactly how mine was wired when I had a Pertronix.  Worked fine for many years.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 2:04AM
So...I have purchased a Duraspark distributor, ED module, and coil from Performance Distributors. Their coil requires 12V. 

Found something curios while making plans for installation. With the key on (engine not running), I have 12.45V to the + side of the coil. As soon as I start the engine, then the + side reads 6.94V at idle, then goes to 7.145V at 1500 rpm. Is this correct? Why would there be straight battery voltage when the engine isn't running? Does it back feed through the tach? Just curios and want to understand.

BTW...I plan on running a relay to power the coil being tripped from the original coil wire. Rocketman converted a tach for me to operate as God had intended for tach's to operate...from the negative side of the coil.;
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 2:23AM
it has 12v until it starts, then reduces to 6ish.  There is a resistor wire in the “run” circuit that drops the voltage.  I added a relay to my coil when I switched over.  It’s easy and works great. 
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 2:43AM

it has 12v until it starts, then reduces to 6ish.  There is a resistor wire in the “run” circuit that drops the voltage.  I added a relay to my coil when I switched over.  It’s easy and works great. 

So that's what is intended. Good...

Now....can anyone explain HOW that occurs? I'm the sort that enjoys the sausage but wants to know how it's made. Wink

Edited by BadHabit351 - 08-October-2020 at 5:14AM
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 3:58PM
the Start circuit is when you turn the key, the Run circuit is when you let off

Start is not resisted, full battery voltage to the coil

Run is resisted, reduced voltage to the coil
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 12:49AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

the Start circuit is when you turn the key, the Run circuit is when you let off

Start is not resisted, full battery voltage to the coil

Run is resisted, reduced voltage to the coil

Yep...I got that. My question is what happens when the engine cranks.

I turn the key to run (not start). The + side of the coil gets 12.45V (battery voltage). When I start the engine, the voltage to the + side of the coil drops to 6.84V.

I wired in the relay to see what happens. Same scenario except the the wire for the + side of the coil now has 13.65V (all it's doing now is keeping the relay closed).

I guess the bottom line is: when I remove the tach from the circuit, is it still going to have enough voltage to keep the relay closed?
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
 Post Reply Post Reply