The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Wiring Locations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Wiring Locations
    Posted: 17-June-2019 at 9:28AM
Does anyone have a picture (or description) of where the engine feed harness should be located on 351C (72)? I think I know, but wanted to do it correctly.

Thanks.

Randy
Randy
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2019 at 2:42PM
it lays along the driver side valve cover by the intake IIRC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2019 at 3:18PM
i thought it was passenger side, to avoid the throttle linkage and run right to the choke & coil in their stock positions?
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2019 at 3:30PM
Mine is run down the passenger side.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2019 at 5:15PM
sorry maybe it's the passenger side, cant remember all the wiring harnesses from these cars ive parted got sold fast so nothing to compare tooEmbarrassed

i ran my wires down under the frame so you can't see all that clutter Wink a short wire across to the oil sender then only 2 wires going up the front edge of the block 1 to the temp sender and another splitting off close for the HEI Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2019 at 3:27AM
Thanks for all of the great replies!

I believe it should be on the passenger side for several reasons now, not the least of which that seems to be the majority opinion here.

There is a hold down point in the harness that mounts perfectly and the wire lays out seemingly correctly when attached to the throttle bracket bolt nearest the passenger side. The oil pressure sending unit is nearby and wire running to it seems about right length to get there. The coil feed and the water temperature wires seem to also fit better this way than on the driver's side.

On Windsor engines I think it is on the driver's side. The oil pressure sender and water temp sender are on the driver's side as well so that makes sense.

Nearly got it ready to start after complete rebuild. Hurray!

Randy
72GTS Fastback
Randy
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2019 at 2:06PM
FWIW, the 400's were on the driver side of the intake and it's pretty much the same setup as a 351C.  The wires for the coolant sensor and the coil cross over at the front of the intake. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply