The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member! Greetings from Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2019 at 4:37PM
Well, after 107 days of training I have returned to Michigan. Just in time for the snow it seems! Now a proud member of the Infantry :). Parents surprised me and had carburetor rebuilt + transmission looked at on the Elite- woohoo! It's in storage for the winter now, anyone have any tips for storing a car for a longish period of time? 

Hope everyones lives have been going well, absolutely can not wait to be able to work on/drive my Elite again once the Michigan winter has had it's day Smile.
Conner Van Hine
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2019 at 1:45AM
Congratulations on your completing your training, I'm sure it feels good to be home.  The only thing I would do on the storage aspect is to possibly put dryer sheets in the car, trunk, and engine compartment area to discourage pests from taking up residence, not sure how secure your storage area is.  Also possibly pull the battery and keep it on a battery maintainer      -   Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2019 at 2:11AM
Congratulations and welcome home. If it hasn't been done, add some stabilizer to the fuel. Coming from the north, I know what the winter can do to the roads and what the salt will do to your car. Wait until all the snow and salt has been washed away. Then enjoy your car.
Steve M.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2019 at 3:16PM
Congratulations on completing your training.  What a great surprise about your Elite.  I have used the drier sheets too for rodents.  I usually change the oil, check to make sure the tires have lots of air, ad gas stabilizer and fill the tank, run the car to make sure the gas stabilizer gets in the carb, pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2019 at 3:04PM
Congrats Conner! Check out this video recently done by Hagerty on preparing your car for winter storage - https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/29/5-tips-to-prepare-your-vintage-ride-for-storage?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=19_November_2_Weekend_News

I'm out in California, so (thankfully) I've never REALLY had to worry about this sort of stuff 😂😂 but my Torino did sit in the driveway for most of 9 years before I got started on the restoration this year, so it would have been super helpful to even this CA resident to know a lot of this stuff years ago!

It's over 30 min long, so definitely watch it thoroughly when you have a good amount of time and refer back to it as needed. Good luck preparing for the winter and enjoy eagerly counting down the days til you get to enjoy the car again 😊👍
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2019 at 4:54AM
Thanks for the feedback! Smile
Conner Van Hine
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2019 at 11:54AM
Hello! Hope everyone had a good Christmas Smile.

My parents found an Elite emblem at some antique store and gave it to me for Christmas, which made me realize that my ‘76 has no “Elite” markings on either side. I feel dumb for not noticing that earlier but what can I say I’m 18 haha. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it’s even supposed to have the emblem on it. I know that the ‘74 had “Gran Torino Elite”, but did the 75/76 have markings? I’ve found pictures of them with as well as without. 
Conner Van Hine
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2019 at 2:11PM
They should have Fender Emblems as far as I know.  That doesn't mean every car left the factory with them.  There seems to be never any absolute rules with Ford cars made during in this era. 

Here is the brochure cover, you can see the emblems on this car:

Here is the full brochure link and every pic shows the emblem.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12