The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake light wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake light wiring
    Posted: 27-July-2019 at 9:05AM
Hey all.  I am in need of some information regarding the brake light wiring setup.  I have a 72 GT Sport.
When I got the car the rear lights and sockets were rusted together.  My question is this:  How many wires are there going into the sockets in the original setup?  My backup light has one wire to the back of the fixture and it works fine.  Are the other sockets a two wire setup or a three wire setup?  The original socket in the middle is a two wire.  Would the outside socket be a 3 wire for any reason?  I have identified all wires and my wiring diagram  shows only two wires.  I am really confused.  Any help, insight, guidance, jokes, insults and slams will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Dgeek
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 9:20AM
72 and 73 had metal housings, so i believe they are body grounded so there would be 2 wires positive brake/turn and positive for the marker light element, back up would be grounded with 1 positive wire
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 9:22AM
 the shorter brighter bulb element will be the brake/turn signal if you're testing and replacing sockets etc.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 12:32PM
John,
Thanks for the reply.  I agree that the light bucket provides the ground to the frame.  Here is my dilemma.  There are 3 bulb sockets - Backup with 1 positive wire, middle has 2 wires and outside has three wires.  I have brake lights, running lights, backup lights all operating properly.  My problem is that when I use the turn signal (either direction) the side I want to light up is quite bright but the other side lights up in synch with the flash, but only dimmer. In addition, I get two bulbs inside (ashtray light and courtesy light) also flash.  I have replaced the headlight switch and turn signal switch.  I have a short video I am going to try to upload to show the problem.  

Thank for all you do on this forum.  I have read many of your replies and am humbled by your knowledge.  Any direction you may point me will be pursued.  

Thank you,

Dan

7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 1:54PM
Sound like a bad ground.  The circuit is possibly completing through the flasher, which is why the other side lights up dimly.  try running a lead from the taillight bucket to a solid chassis ground, see if that cures the problem.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 1:55PM
Also, try replacing the flasher.  Just a thought.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 4:18PM
i agree with the other john... possibly a ground issue??? also closely check all the bulbs! make sure if it's a 1 wire socket the bulb has 1 lead connect terminal, and if it's a 2 wire socket it has 2 lead terminals on the bottom of that bulb... i say this because years ago a bought a Mitsubishi dodge D50 truck to flip from an auction, when i turned on the left turn signal all 4 lights flashed but was correct on the right turn signal...drove me nuts for close to an hour Confused come to find out someone put a 1 terminal bulb (1156) in the 2 terminal socket Shocked which caused the 2 terminals to jump in the socket! usually the bulbs won't fit but somehow they got it in thereConfused
 the vid didn't work for me... clicked it a couple times eventually went to youtube, didn't play but ran across some modern "kicked in the nuts metal" cover version of a john denver song Shocked WTF?!!! they butchered it BTW AngryOuchLOL

FWIW 1 element bulbs should be 1156,  2 element bulbs should be 1157...
check along the wiring... if you see any evidence of repair check it out for pisspoor repairs!!! especially if they tried to wire up lights for a trailer ...OMG!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 4:41PM
California Johnny and 7T9_Tbird,

Thank you both for your comments.  I think I am headed in the right direction now.  All bulbs are correct, I had installed a new headliner so I removed the light and improved the metal to metal contact. (Headliner was pinched at each screw).  I checked the wiring diagram and it shows a common ground for the map light, ash tray and radio lights.  These are the ones that are flashing in synch with the flashers.  Those are the next areas I am going to check.  Any advice as to the location (if there is one) of a central ground?  The diagram shows that all of these lights share the same ground.  I will also be changing out the flasher for a new one.  Hopefully, one of these connections is the culprit.  

Thanks again for your help.  

Dan

I will keep you informed as to the progress.  

Dgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 6:17PM
https://youtu.be/IH2Bs1i3fCY

Here is the video
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 6:38PM
the dome light has a positive wire to it and the ground works through the door jamb switch kinda opposite as you would normally think IIRC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply