The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Upper Control Arm 1972 Montego GT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Upper Control Arm 1972 Montego GT
    Posted: 06-August-2019 at 3:40AM
Looking for some worldly advice / wisdom. I am removing both rear upper and lower control arms to replace the bushings.

On the rear upper control arm, the nut that is the most forward toward front of car and facing outside, I find it’s practically impossible to get any type wrench, much less socket on this thing due to the lack of clearance from the car body. So I am having to try to loosen the bolt head facing inside. It’s a 13/16” and I have tried wrenches, sockets, electric impact sockets, soaking repeatedly with PB Blaster and it is not budging. I have worked the arm up and down thinking it might loosen it some, but

no movement. I’m thinking heat gun next….anyone else have similar issues & can offer a solution? Appreciate any info, will try

to upload a picture later, can’t right now…

1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 6:32AM
Breaker bar and a length of 1 1/2"-2" diameter pipe for additional leverage.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 7:24AM
The chances of loosening that Bolt from the head end are slim to none.   It is probably seized into the bushing. It will probably take an oxy acetylene torch to break that nut free. Sometimes a nut splitter will work but more often than not it doesn't. (Murphy''s Law )  😉
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 2:02PM
Going to try Auqa's suggestion as I do have a breaker, just need to get some pipe. A torch is what I wanted to avoid...but ....have a sneaky feeling that is what may be required. There has been no movement.

As always appreciate it guys...gradually ascending the ladder into the realm of "hey I can do THAT now"
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 3:16PM
are you referring the the upper cross shaft nuts? i've never had a problem removing them but leverage should work fine, if not heating with a torch will do it for sure!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2019 at 10:09PM
Here is a picture Californiajohnny...the arm is hanging 180 degrees down from the shaft of the bolt. I'll give it a shot this weekend with my breaker bar when I have some time.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2019 at 12:34AM
Mine came off easy when I removed it. I think i probably used an air impact on the bolt head and a open end wrench on the other but it was several years ago now. 

I'd try soaking the nut with PB blaster over a few days then try again with a stronger impact gun. If you have access to a torch, heating the nut might do the trick too.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2019 at 9:51PM
Breaker bar made easy work of it...hardest part was finding where in the garage it was hidden. Thanks again, one day I hope to contribute something to the forum!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2019 at 2:50AM
Clap sorry for the confusion, i didn't read the "rear" part in the title post Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2019 at 2:34PM
Never confusion Johnny - you have been a great resource since I have been here!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2019 at 3:56PM
just happy to help! i ran across this site years ago while searching for parts for my car ( i didn't have all these parts and parts cars back then) everyone was great! so even though my car is finished, i'm here for life!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2019 at 3:54PM
Ditto...there has been a 30 year gap in my wrenching so I am relearning a bunch of stuff and gathering new knowledge everyday. I learn something everytime I come to this forum, great bunch of folks and I appreciate each and every bit of advice and help that has been sent my way.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 2:42PM
Funny how that works. I was in the same boat. Haha
 Post Reply Post Reply