The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info on Simulated Mag Wheels Hubcaps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info on Simulated Mag Wheels Hubcaps
    Posted: 10-August-2019 at 12:50PM
Greetings from Phoenix, AZ!
  I'm looking for a set of the hubcaps that Ford used on several different models from 1970 until 1973, I believe. I know by simply changing the center cap, these covers could be used on various models. I know they also came in 14" and 15" versions.
  I located a set on-line, but they need to be restored. I have several questions...
1 - How far can they be disassembled for restoration? Does the trim ring separate from the center section? Can the chrome "lug nuts" and trim (triangular) for the five slots be removed for new paint?
2 - What color, or colors, most accurately replicate the original colors? What paint works best?
3 - If a trim ring is damaged, are there any reproductions that would work that are maybe intended for a wheel? If so, what modifications need to be made?
4 - If I switch to repro 15" rings, is that all I need to do to use these caps on a 15" wheel?
5 - These caps will be used on a Torino or a Cyclone. What center caps were used for these two models?
6 - Would repro caps made for Magnum 500 wheels or maybe the earlier 1965-'67 styled steel wheel work? What modifications need to be made?
  Can you help with one or more of these caps in good condition? If you only have parts like original trim rings or center caps, that would be fine. 
  Although I think the Magnum wheels are absolutely beautiful on these cars, I also like having components like the hubcaps on my car because they're not often seen.
  I appreciate any help and advice that anyone can offer.
Fords Forever,
Tom

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2019 at 3:35PM
If they are the wheelcovers I am thinking of, they also came on Mustangs as well, and only in 14 inch size. They need at least a 7 inch wheel to work because of the depth.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2019 at 3:37PM
The Torino version. These came in both Argent and Silver. My favorite style wheelcover, ever!

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2019 at 3:50PM
Shocked never seen those before!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TorinoTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2019 at 6:32PM
Hey unlovedford,
  I agree with you; these particular deluxe wheelcovers are beautifully styled and look great on any performance Ford product from the 1970-'73 era. I've seen them with the Mustang center (see photo), the Torino style with the red background with a Ford-type crest (see photo), or a Mercury center with a black background and the elongated L-M style logo. I've never seen a cover with a Cougar center, although that would be really cool.
  You're right that they were available in the 14" size and need at least a 7" wheel to properly secure it. However, they were not ONLY available in 14", at least for the Mustang. 
  Years ago, I worked at a Ford dealer and they had an NOS set still in the box stored upstairs, which I immediately purchased. Of course, they had the Mustang centers. Not surprising, since the Boss 302 and Boss 351 Mustangs came standard with a 15" wheel. The steel wheel was standard on these Boss cars, and are usually seen with the standard corporate cap and stainless steel trim ring. If an owner of a Boss with steel wheels wanted to dress them up, a 15" deluxe cover was an option if the 15 x 7 Magnum wheels were not desired. 
  Here's a link to a copy of an original 1970 Ford Mustang Accessory brochure showing the 15" cover.   http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford_%20Mustang/1970%20Ford%20Mustang/1970%20Ford%20Mustang%20Brochure/image8.html
   I'd still like to know how to restore a set of these caps. I'd really like to have a set of these restored when I get my car. 
Fords Forever,
Tom
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2019 at 6:35AM
an old bud had a set of them on a 71-2-3 big body Mustang,

they grab the lugs for retention and are heavy as Censored IIRC
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:28AM
Actually, they grip the wheel as any other trim ring. Retention by lug nuts were not available back then, and some inexperienced tire shop employees would try to loosen the simulated lug nuts, only to have them snap off. They were non-movable.

I've never seen a 15 inch set, but have seen a few sets that were thinner and could be used with a 6 inch wheel. They were only available in certain low performance vehicles and were only available in Light Argent. I had a couple sets of the wider ones and 1 set of the thinner ones.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:32AM
Here is an example of the thinner version. Note the slimmer trim ring and more protruding center.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:41AM
Both widths, pictures of some disassembled ones, back of one with the trim-ring type of retaining grippers.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:42AM
Unbolt the rear bolts retaining the center part and they will separate.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 11:18AM
i guess they just kinda gum the lugs, i thought they had some gription Hug
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply