The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member, hoping for some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glbrantley85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member, hoping for some advice
    Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:35AM
Hey guys, im a newbie hoping for some insight on a potential purchase of a torino 500.
So just a little info on myself first, I guessConfused. Im 34, live in south ga, and have always been a gearhead. Ive had a few classic trucks but have always toyed with the idea of getting a muscle car. But ive never been one to do what everybody else does, as far as muscle cars go (mustangs, camaros). Im a ford guy, my dad is diehard mopar or nocar, chuvys are out of the question. Married with two beautiful kids, a boy and a girl. Not real sure if any of you care about my personal life, but what the heck. Its just an ice breaker, I guess.

Now on to my reason for this post. I have an aunt who just lost her father after a long battle with illness. She has inherited most of his estate, of which she's trying to sell. One particular item of interest, a 71 torino 500. The story is, her father had the car redone years ago, and after the restore just pulled the thing behind the house and let it sitThumbs Down, I have no idea how long. It looks kind of ruff but I think it can be saved. I have the vin and some pics of the car I can post once I figure out how to do that. Im hoping you guys will chime in and kind of give me a little advice as to whether or not I need to pull the trigger on this thing, or possibly give me a ballpark figure as to what its worth. I'm not scared to work on it, but body work is not my forte. I have no knowledge of torinos at all, im a sponge, so i'll soak up any details, tips, advice, what to look for, what to stay away from ect. that you all can give me.

Im hoping you guys can let me know what it is I'm looking at with this vin: 1A30F198706 Body: 65C Col: looks like a C? possibly G? Trim: JR  Axle: 6 TRNS: W DSO: 24

Any help is greatly appreciated. Big smile

Thanks G
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2019 at 2:11PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.  Without detailed pictures it's hard to assess the value.

We have tons of resources here to help you with your car:

From the data your gave your car is a 1971 Torino 500 2-door HT Coupe
Assembly Location: Atlanta
Engine:  302-2V
Paint:  Dark Green Metallic
Trim:  Knitted Vinyl Bench Option in Medium Green
Axle:  3.00:1 ratio
Transmission:  C4
DSO:  Jacksonville

Based on all of the above, it's sounds like a pretty basic Torino.  The big problem with these cars is rust.  Make sure your thoroughly inspect the car for rust in the cowl, torque boxes, floors and other common areas.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply