The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct PPG code to match Ford 2B Red

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct PPG code to match Ford 2B Red
    Posted: 11-September-2019 at 10:06AM
I am looking to get regular or spray cans of Ford 2B Red from a nearby vendor of PPG automotive paints. Going to use to paint everything not on the exterior of my Starsky & Hutch Torino - under-side of hood, firewall, underside and inside trunk, fender/door/hood jambs, etc.

Does anyone have experience with PPG paints that can confirm that PPG 2296 is the correct code for Ford 2B Red? Just want to double check, as two vendors who don't have experience with stock Ford colors said something along the lines of "It looks like this is Ford bright red, one of them says 2B..."

They don't sound entirely certain, but they said it matches 2B and also M3560A (a code I've never heard of).

Also, they ask if I want Shop Line or Water Based paint - does anyone know which is the better option for my type of application (i.e. - everything except the exterior body of the car)?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 10:52AM
Try here: https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
Hope it helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 11:19AM
This is helpful! Didn't realize those old catalogs were from PPG as well, looks like they've been in business for a while. the 2B also says 2296/Bright Red. So probably safe to assume that it's the correct color.

Still curious to know if I should go for shop line or water based though... Confused
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 12:17PM
There is also Paintref.com

1976 Ford Paints:

2B Paint:

I have had 2B paint mixed up over the years and there is definitely some variation in the colour depending on the paint. Some is pretty close and others are out a bit.  When I had some mixed up for my firewall it was way to far out going just by the code, so I brought a part into the store to get scanned which got the paint much closer to the original paint. 

Even some of the cars on here with 2B paint, some seem to be a bit darker than my paint.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 1:30PM
In your experience, which brand paint has been closest to original 2B Red?
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 4:04PM
not a fan of water based paint! go with PPG...see if it's available in their omni line (ppg) thats what i use! works great
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 2:11PM
Mike, I can't say what brand, I never really paid attention as I have only bought small quantities for touch-ups and usually just by whatever house brand the shop was selling.  I can say the last few times though I had to get the paint shop to "tweak" the paint to get it close to the original shade.  Do you have any original parts on your car that have good paint? 

A number of years ago I also had to get my rear valance repainted.  The body shop owner just scanned the paint with his phone and the paint was basically a 100% match.  They painted the valance off the car, so there was no blending, it just matched perfectly.

If you don't have any original parts, and are repainting everything, you probably will be okay with a PPG mixed up in 2B red.  The variation more matters if you are trying to match exisiting paint, or are very particular about the colour. Maybe spray a small part of piece of metal first to see if you are happy with it before you buy a large amount.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 12-September-2019 at 2:25PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 2:22PM
^^^this
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 2:36PM
Ok got it, thanks. No, using my parts withn original paint wouldn't work since my car's original color is brown. 
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply