The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ac part identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ac part identification
    Posted: 12-September-2019 at 11:10AM
Anybody know what this is for? I got it out of mid-70's Cougar a while back to replace the one in my Elite, (the fittings were broken). Now that Im reassembling it Im fitting everything before the engine goes in. The holes in the bracket dont line up with the pre-drilled holes in the fender apron. Allen
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 1:15PM
That's your receiver dryer that mounts to your A/C condenser in front of the radiator.

You can buy a new 4 Seasons part from Summit.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 1:35PM
That looks to be the A/C accumulator, it resides on the passenger side inner fender.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 1:39PM
Its not the dryer. I have that set aside. This mounts to the inner fender right behind the battery. One line goes to the compressor, one goes to the ac/heater box on the firewall.
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2019 at 1:46PM
Thanks. It is indeed the accumulator. Once I knew what it was called I could look it up. Still dont know why it doesnt mount correctly...its off a similar model.
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2019 at 11:52AM
So I was wrong on the receiver dryer. I went into a local radiator shop today that I've been doing a lot of business with lately to take care of some items. I showed them these pics, they say it's not an accumulator but rather, a muffler. And they said there is a difference between the two? Anyway this is a trusted shop that's been in the Bay Area over 40 years, so they sounded pretty confident that that's what this part was... just food for thought.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2019 at 12:00PM
 yes it's some kind of muffler or baffle...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2019 at 1:41PM
  My Ford manual(s) officially calls the part in question a suction accumulator, but y'all can call it whatever you like if it makes you happy Wink
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2019 at 2:04PM
Thanks for the replies and info. I too stopped at my favorite radiator shop...been going there for 30 years. Alex also called it a muffler. So, I'll go with muffler/accumulator. Ive also searched the internet and got as many different opinions on its purpose as responses I clicked on. Everything from "nothin'" to "It keeps the freon in its liquid state from re-entering the compressor". So, I'll just repaint it and put it back on. I found I can use one existing factory hole in the inner fender...the other two will have to be drilled. Guess they used different brackets for different years/models. Thanks again...Ive owned this car since '82 and Im still trying to figure out all of Ford's better ideas.

Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply