The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

converting to R134a from R12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: converting to R134a from R12
    Posted: 15-September-2019 at 4:39PM
Car is currently R12, not working. I have a new compressor, dryer, and expansion valve, all are R12/R134a compatible. I plan on making new hoses. Anything else I would need to worry about? Condenser? Not sure what else there is.
Thanks,
Russ
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2019 at 1:31PM
If you are definitely going with R134a, you are probably going to want to update to a parallel flow condenser.

There's an article on Hagerty from a guy who wrote a book about it that you might find helpful:

Joe
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2019 at 6:47PM
Thanks. Good read. Might get his book, wish they had a Kindle version though.

Advantage to 134 is cost and availability.

Found out anyone can take an online open book test to be able to buy R12, so that is an option. But more expensive.

I'm thinking with the Ranchero having a full Torino a/c setup, maybe the 134 would be ok. I'm in the Phoenix area, and really need cold a/c.

Will need to buy a new  condensor anyway. I have the new York style, but maybe I should get a Sanden.

Too many decisions. And that isn't including all the "alternative" coolants out there.

I'm open to any ideas.

Russ
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2019 at 3:33AM
I had good luck years ago with a '84 Bronco using one of the "hybrid oil" conversion kits the sold at NAPA.  It was a junk truck, which is why I wasn't afraid to try.  But it did work.  Just watch the pressure conversion chart(134a uses less pressure than 12, IIRC).  We did a friends similar bronco, and six months later something under the dash let go.  Looked like the inside of the truck was on fire.LOL  He used the 12 pressure instead of the chart number.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2019 at 9:26AM
Keep the original POA/STV if possible and have it adjusted for use with 134A, really makes a difference.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2019 at 1:03AM
I know nothing about subject except my mac. replaced one part made up a connection flushed system and put in 134. This was back when we all went to Carlisle. 50 degrees at vent. last yr blew fuse think same thing this yr.
 Post Reply Post Reply