The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rough idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough idle
    Posted: 07-October-2019 at 11:27PM
Hello all,
My 73 Torino with a 351C is idling great in park but rough in gear. I replaced the EGR with a 1 inch spacer under the 2bl. No signs of a vacuum leak there but I suspect there is one due to the rough idle. Any advice would be great.
Mark
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 6:34AM
May want to try opening the idle mixture screws about an 1/8-1/4 turn for a slightly richer mixture. If you have a vacuum gauge, once the engine is up to operating temp, adjust the idle mixture screws evenly for highest manifold vacuum reading(usually has a higher idle RPM as well) then open them about an 1/8 turn more. This setting "should" get you real close. What is your ignition's initial timing set at?
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Markb73gtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 7:04AM
the balancer is hard to read but around 11 past TDC, I will try what you are suggesting. Which vacuum connection should I attach my vacuum gauge too? Not sure, I am getting better at car knowledge but I am still a Grammer school level student
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 8:05AM
Just about any vacuum port below the carburetor's throttle blades would be a good source, I would look for one near/under the carb that would allow all cylinders to contribute as compared to using a vacuum source that ties into only one cylinder port. In reality there wouldn't be a huge difference between either source(combined versus single port), just something I choose to do when needing a confident vacuum reading.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Markb73gtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 10:24AM
thanks for the guidance. Ibwill ker you know how it works out.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 3:38PM
double check all areas and hoses for a vacuum leak, also check your PCV for a leak? if all checks good then you may need a little more adjusting on the carb and maybe some timing advance too???
 unless you have a pretty big cam in it, then......
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply