The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank cleaning and sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank cleaning and sending unit
    Posted: 08-October-2019 at 8:01AM
My car hasn't been started in over 10 years; 3 gallons of old fuel in the tank but the carb looks clean.  Cranking the motor, I didn't get any fuel to the carb.  I replaced the fuel pump and the rubber fuel lines.  During this process, I had old fuel coming through the metal lines so they may be okay.

I drained the tank and dropped it last week.  I pulled the sending unit and it was a rust bucket (however, vinegar does wonders).  I reconnected the wire from the sending unit and when I move the tube it seems to be sending the correct fuel level measurements to the gauge.  I haven't cranked the motor with the new fuel pump attached.  I will run some pressure tests on the metal lines first and force the remaining old fuel before I try cranking the motor.  The tank had some rust inside but soaking in vinegar and using a stiff brush cleaned it very nicely. 

Since I don't want to ever have to go through this again, I ordered a new sending unit from MACs.  They put it on back order until December.  Cancelled that order since AutoKrafters showed them in stock.  Now, they are saying it will be late November.  

Any other places to go for new sending unit or does every place get it from the same manufacturer?
I'm tempted to reuse the old unit unit December but dread draining/dropping the tank again.  Has anyone reused their old sending units and if so, how long did they last.  I already know I'll need a new float and sock (and rubber ring).  

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 1:16PM
can't you R&R the sender w/o dropping the tank?
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 3:42PM
 very possible they are getting them from the same supplier???!! what year is your car? i may know a member that has a new oneWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2019 at 12:29AM
It's a 1973 Gran Torino Fastback Sport.

Yes, I could probably R&R without dropping the tank.  Just the hassle of redoing it is what I'm complaining about :)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2019 at 2:54AM
ok i'll check if he still has it...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2019 at 4:53PM
sal told me he still has it! i told him to contact you on here.... his screen name is powersurge
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2019 at 6:37PM
I cleaned and reused mine, it has been good ever since. Mine had sat in old gas for 12 yesrs!
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2019 at 4:41AM
I've got a brand new one available...the stainless steel version also. 

But...mine is for the 26 gallon tank, not the 23. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
 Post Reply Post Reply