The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 headers
    Posted: 09-October-2019 at 4:02PM
Getting parts ready for Mom's wagon rebuild this winter. Does anyone have suggestions for a good set of headers at a good price? Just trying to give the 400 a little help.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2019 at 12:27PM

The choices are limited with a 400 due to the extra deck height. The only new set you can buy today is the Hooker Super Comps, but they aren't cheap:

I installed these on my car and they fit well.  The right side goes in very easily.  To get the left side in, I lifted the motor and removed the left motor mount.  Doing that it wasn't too bad.  You could probably also remove the steering box to get it in, but it was easier for me to lift the motor (since I was doing the engine install anyway).  I did end up dimpling mine at the steering box and at the lower frame rail near the torque box (it was really close to the fuel line on the frame).  The other minor issue was the headers are wider than the bumps on my cross member (1972).  So the clearance is very tight on the right side to get the collector installed.

The other option I considered are Sanderson shorties. I think FC4's would work, but I wasn't willing to buy and try them out due to the high cost to ship them back.  If I could have bought them locally, I would have tried them (since returns are easy at the speed shop I deal with).  They also require adaptors to work with 2V sized heads.

You might also be able to find an old set of BlackJacks on eBay or CL if you want a cheaper option. They are long out of production but I am pretty sure they made a set for Torino/Rancheros with 351M and 400 engines.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2019 at 3:02PM
Ouch. Thanks for the information. I didn't even think about the raised deck issue. Hmm, may just stay with the standard manifolds for the time being. Thanks again!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2019 at 3:46PM
check out this thread with pictures, I have those hooker super comps on my 73 with a 351M/400 block.

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2019 at 6:11AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

The choices are limited with a 400 due to the extra deck height. The only new set you can buy today is the Hooker Super Comps, but they aren't cheap:

You might also be able to find an old set of BlackJacks on eBay or CL if you want a cheaper option. They are long out of production but I am pretty sure they made a set for Torino/Rancheros with 351M and 400 engines.

get them while you can at any price, when Hooker discontinues then like other applications recently, you'll be wishing you had a set. or 2 Shocked
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply