The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some speculation on a 74+ big bearing 5x4.5 rotor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some speculation on a 74+ big bearing 5x4.5 rotor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some speculation on a 74+ big bearing 5x4.5 rotor
    Posted: 20-October-2019 at 6:25PM
This might be a giant waste of a few hours but here goes...

I've been reading up on past threads brake rotor upgrades and the issue with the 5 on 5 lug pattern for the 12 inch rotor that is a bolt on. Would be nice to have a 12 inch with 5 on 4.5 because reasons.

Having some time to kill I did some Rock Auto catalog mining. If you click on the part numbers in a list on Rock Auto it gives you the other applications that use the same part. Clicking on the rotor part numbers was no help, how about the bearings?

Our '74+ big bearing spindles use WJB WTA12 for the outer and WJB WTA18 for the inner, to pick the first manufacturer in the list.

Click on "WTA12" and you get... nuts! "Results may be incomplete due to size of result set" looks like everyone and their sister used this bearing. Dead end for now.

Click on "WTA18" and you get some more useful results. All our familiar 70's Ford mid and full size. Some truck applications that probably aren't 5 lug. Lots of Mopar. Start at the top: Chrysler Imperial '74-'75.

Looking up a 74 Imperial rotor gets you this little guy:

RAYBESTOS 7034R $35

Rotor Diameter, Outer (IN)11.750
Rotor Thickness, Discard (IN)1.180
Rotor Thickness, Nominal (IN)1.245
Rotor TypeConventional
Height, Overall (IN)4.984
Surface FinishPlain
Wheel Bolt Circle Diameter (IN)4.500
Wheel Bolt Hole Diameter, Maximum (IN)0.548
Wheel Bolt Hole Diameter, Minimum (IN)0.540
Wheel Bolt Holes, Primary5

5 on 4.5 and 11 3/4 inches - our "12 inch" is 6040R is 11 13/16 so pretty close on the diameter. Overall height is bigger, 4.984 - 4.829 = 0.155, less that a quarter, more than an eighth.  0.06 inch of that is in the thickness of the rotor. No dimension for the hub diameter which sucks. None of the other manufacturers list it either that I could find.

Checking the bearings, inner is WTA 18 of course, that's how we got here. Outer is WTA 16. The Centric listing has a nice picture with dimensions. 410.91012 is for our 74 up application, 410.91018 is the Chrysler, and bingo, the inner diameter of the inner race which the spindle goes into is the same:

So it would fit on our spindle with the Chrysler bearings.

Would it work? Can't tell without better drawings. Or parts in hand. Maybe you guys already know the rotor thickness kills it - don't have enough experience with these cars to say. I checked u-pull yards local to me and none of the Chrysler products were in. I did pick up the Continental/Mark caliper brackets though.

Worth popping 35 bucks to do an experiment?
Joe
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2019 at 6:43PM
Very interesting.
Hope to hear more.
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2019 at 6:59PM
idk but chances are the rotor offset could be different as to the fit inline with the caliper????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2019 at 10:40PM
bearing center distance would be the first thing to check, and offset
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 9:20PM
Have a thought.
I'd be willing (after the end of the month) to pitch in $5 or $10 for someone who knows what they are  doing to buy this and the bearings to try out.
Anybody else willing to do that, and anyone wanting to actually be the one to try it? I would think that there are enough of us who are interested in the big brakes to make this feasible.
Thanks,
Russ
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2019 at 4:24AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

Have a thought.
I'd be willing (after the end of the month) to pitch in $5 or $10 for someone who knows what they are  doing to buy this and the bearings to try out.
Anybody else willing to do that, and anyone wanting to actually be the one to try it? I would think that there are enough of us who are interested in the big brakes to make this feasible.
Thanks,
Russ

Hey Russ,

I ended up ordering one of these rotors and the bearings; they should be showing up here in a couple days. Not sure when I can get to it though I have had some issues come up in the interim but hopefully won't be too long.
Joe
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2019 at 5:02AM
Thanks thanks for stepping up to the plate!
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2019 at 12:32PM
Yes, big thanks. My offer still stands if you want it. 
Not a rush on my end. 
Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply