The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351c upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351c upgrades
    Posted: 23-October-2019 at 3:44AM
Hi Guys
Within the next few months I intend to start on my 351c overhaul currently runs just has a timing issue but I thought as the engines coming out anyway might as well upgrade her at the same time.
So recently I've been plodding thought trying to think of what I should do to her definitely thinking new coil, new distributer but what else should I be going for?
thanks for any help
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 12:13PM
What engine does your car have? A 351-2V H-code or a 351-4V M-Code? 
Are you just planning on freshening things up and keeping it stock?  Or are you planning on increasing power and performance? How far are you going on the "overhaul."  Are you planning on stripping it to a bare block and having machine work done?

Give some idea on the direction you want to go.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 12:52PM
first thing time for some homework!

it's a ton to take in all at once but give it a good going over maybe a couple times and it all starts to gel

72 GT Ute

lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 8:54PM
cars got the 351c 4v installed at the moment I'm looking to get it some more performance not 100% about the machining side to be honest
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 9:00PM
thanks for the links theres a lot of reading but its very interesting this will be my first engine build so learning a lot.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2019 at 12:34PM
Originally posted by lurch lurch wrote:

cars got the 351c 4v installed at the moment I'm looking to get it some more performance not 100% about the machining side to be honest

So your car is an M-Code with 4V heads?  You could probably get away with a cam swap, a decent carb, intake, and headers to help wake it up.  Now would be the time to change the fragile 2-peice factory engine valves too.  

Have you done a compression check on the engine?  How's the oil pressure?

Rock will probably have some more specific recommendations and can probably help you with cam selection.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2019 at 1:27AM
Hi Vince
thanks very much I was looking at an Edelbrock 1411 Performer Series 750 CFM Carburetor with Electric Choke would that be considered a fairly decent one, in your opinion what would be a good cam for this carb, and the factory valves ive been looking at quite a few is there a good name brand for them?
cheers
tom
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2019 at 8:23AM
Tom, I am not overly familiar with Edelbrock carbs, I have only ever used Holley carbs.  The size of that carb sounds about right though. You might want to think about upgrading the intake too.  Blue Thunder might be a good choice. Manley is a good quality name for engine valves, but there are other cheaper options.  

As for the cam, you shouldn't be selecting the cam for the carb.  What rear gears does your car have?  Have you confirmed that you have 4V heads yet?  A 2V head has a #2 in upper left corner of the cylinder head.  A 4V head has the #4 in the upper left corner of the cylinder head. Just make sure you know what you are working with in case it has been changed or altered by previous owners. I don't think I am qualified enough to make a cam recommendation.  I have some ideas, but I am not expert.  Maybe Rocktansky will chime in on this as he is very knowledgable on 351C builds.  Or you could also try to contact George Pence directly for some advice from him.  Read up George Pence's stuff on camshafts and it will give an idea on the direction your should be going.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2019 at 1:54PM
the cam needs to be decided before you can order springs, retainers, locks for cylinder head guy can set up the springs for safe clearance at max lift.

Alex's Parts is a good source for replacement valves

the 1411 looks to be a candidate but you'll need to work out a bracket for a kickdown if auto transmission?

steer clear of any carb that's calibrated for economy or emissions!
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply