The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

79 vacuum and breaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toofast52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 vacuum and breaks
    Posted: 25-October-2019 at 4:30PM
hello, I'm tim. I bought a 79 ranchero gt with the 351m. it didn't run and had been growing into desert sand when I found it. I've done quite a bit to it and I really love this car. I've put new rockers in because the previous owner had rollers on one side and rockers on the other. new 2 barrel carb, distributor,electrical under the hood is new. master cylinder. I can start the car every time. seems to run great.
so the problem I'm having is the vacuum line routing.im usually able to figure out most things when it comes to cars. however vacuum has always been a guessing game. this car had been invaded by mice and desert elements. so there wasn't much of any rubber anything left on the car. the car sat for 10 years. prior owner took out the ac. so for me the vacuum has been mostly guess work to me.
when I am accelerate car I fine. soon as I let off the gas the breaks apply themselves. so I mostly have to drive with one foot holding the break peddle up. turns into a cramped shin and foot. if anyone can help that would be amazing

thanks so much
Tjdirt
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2019 at 7:17AM
sounds like the power assist unit is done

Centric 160.80054
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2019 at 9:03AM
wow Shocked that's a new one on me! it just requires a major vacuum source from the intake to the booster. i'd say something in the booster is screwed up! it shouldn't move unless you push on the pedal

welcome BTW
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
DaleR09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2019 at 6:35AM
Bad vacuum in from intake manifold check valve on the booster? or the outside air intake check valve is bad?
'72 Ranchero GT Q code (Sold)
'63 F100 Unibody CV swap
'03 Ranger 4X4 Stepside
'03 F350
'14 Fusion AWD Titanium
 Post Reply Post Reply